keeping a litterbox in the living room- but I don't want to smell it..any tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Willowy. I'll see if I can find it, and since I use a Dollar store box in the living room, I could just toss it every couple of weeks when it's time to dump the litter(after all, it's only 3bucks) 

I had trouble finding one with the right dimensions for that little space that I had and the dollar store one fits. the bathroom has a disposable box right now, because it's bigger than the dishpan that we started with-Midnight's outgrown that, but we need something thin enough to go down between the toilet and the wall. and Matt's got an under the bed box, because I've yet to find a litter box big enough to suit his length and litter-box habits. If the box isn't big enough, he kicks litter over the side, trying to get comfortable enough to go.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate having litter boxes in my main living space, but it's unavoidable when you have lots of cats living in the house.  I purchased this

Yet I ordered last year from Wayfair and it was only $86.  I have no idea why it jumped so much in price.  I love it.  I have it in the walnut finish and get so many comments on it.  No one knows that it has a litter box inside.  It is so roomy too.  I can house  my large sterlite container inside.  I smell absolutely nothing from it.

I also have this for another room

http://www.wayfair.com/Merry-Products-Pet-House-and-Litter-Box-MPS006-MRP1003.html

It's on the small size and I have to use a regular litter pan.  It's attractive looking, but it doesn't do as good of job as the larger box.  Yet, at least I don't have to look at the litter pans.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that first one would be PERFECT for me, and I need a bench for the front hall for the winter, too. Too bad about the price point, but the idea is amazing....that gives me a solution to go hunting for

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh that first one would be PERFECT for me, and I need a bench for the front hall for the winter, too. Too bad about the price point, but the idea is amazing....that gives me a solution to go hunting for
I was so bummed when I wanted to get a 2nd one and the price was doubled what I had paid for it.  I love that you can open the two doors for super easy cleaning.  Also it gives you the option of which side to place the entry; another plus!  You can easily dress it up with pillows and accessories.  I have a lamp on mine as well as a few knick knacks. 

Over the summer I needed something to put over the litter box that is upstairs in my son's bathroom closet as the dog kept going in there and helping herself!  I bought a cheap cardboard house looking cover and it was such a waste of money.  It did keep her out, but I could barely reach inside to clean the box.  My son and I kept knocking it over.  I finally just threw it away. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, accessibility is part of the reason I won't use a covered box-out of sight out of mind. If it's not easy to get to, I can't promise to remember to clean it all the time. but something like this, with the doors, where I can just open them and look in-that would be ideal.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked it up and I ordered it last year on 12/30/2012 and paid just $83.99 and free shipping.  It was a quite the deal.  I have no idea why the price increased so much. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Matt's mom. I have Mouse's litter tray right next to my bed!  It's a small apartment and options are limited, plus my room is the one he feels safest in and least disrupted when other people come to stay.  It HAS to be odour free. 
  I also check with everyone who comes in to see if they can smell anything as I'm paranoid about having a house smelling of cat pee.  So far so good.

I use a basic but aesthetic covered litter tray (Booda Roundabout that you can't get any more) and fine grain clumping litter.  I was using Sanicat Professional Clumping Gold which was good but pricey as odour started to build after about 8 days (also had a slight fragrance). I've changed to Tigerino Canadian Unscented Clumping litter which is a soft, fine grain clumping litter like the one your cats like. It's way better on every count apart from being slightly dusty when pouring (still not much tho') and the bags weighing a tonne. Mind you I think the weight helps with the tracking which is minimal.  I get it on line and delivered - cost here is £17.99 for 30 kilos and that will last forever!!!  Oh and the same supplier does loyalty discount so I pay less, and doesn't charge carriage over the amount I spend to no cost on top.... So far I've used about 2 kilo and it's still going with no smell. It deodorizes poop within about 1 minute and no hint of urine as it clumps and scoops so effectively.  As I've said in other posts, Mouse digs like crazy and so I keep the litter reasonably deep, and he pees loads and this stuff has no problem coping with clumping for him. I get little stacks of pool ball size clumps each day and nothing's stuck to the bottom / turned to mush as yet.  Reckon 1 x 15 k bag will last at about 4 months.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/tigerino/314308

Not sure who might supply outside UK.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know about the Bhudda dome...my friend had one. Last I saw she wasn't using it, since the loss of her older cat. I think the little one liked an uncovered box better. I should ask if she still has it.

I know what you mean about the fine-grain litter being heavy,and dusty when you pour.... but I've noticed too-if I keep it deep, it clumps really well and doesn't track terribly. (and with hardwood floors and no vacuum, you've got to love a litter with minimal tracking
)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, I know about the Bhudda dome...my friend had one. Last I saw she wasn't using it, since the loss of her older cat. I think the little one liked an uncovered box better. I should ask if she still has it.

It's a Booda Roundabout I have, which is a few inches taller than the basic Booda Dome as  it has a much deeper base - works well for big cats and ones that spray a bit at the sides of the tray...  If it's the Roundabout she has I'd get hold of it if you can. 

I know what you mean about the fine-grain litter being heavy,and dusty when you pour.... but I've noticed too-if I keep it deep, it clumps really well and doesn't track terribly. (and with hardwood floors and no vacuum, you've got to love a litter with minimal tracking
)

This one isn't very dusty, better than most I'd say.  I've got wood floors too, and tho' have a vacuum I prefer not to use it too much so this new litter is great.  I was getting SO fed up of litter under foot with the other litter.  Now I can be even more lazy about my housework. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Litter tray looking like a potted plant might look cool but  what if the cats got a bit confused and the plant pot bit got used instead of the tray underneath!!!!! 

I wouldn't worry too much about the Booda Dome, it has a shallower tray than the version I have and don't think it is as good - less height for the larger kitty and more risk of urine leaking at the tray/lid join. 
   I'm seriously thinking about using a large round bin with or without lid and a hole cut in it the next time I have to get a tray, I'm just not too impressed by most of the trays I see on the market, and  they either look awful or are not practical, and cost a small fortune either way. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nice! AND it got good reviews
 Now all I need is one of those disposable credit card things so I can buy it :) 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have the big Booda Dome with the ramp (we call it the Poopin' Palace) and love it. The ramp gets some of the litter off paws, but we still have to use a nubby mat in front of the entrance. All the cats like it except for one, I think-she stands at the top of the ramp and pees into the box instead of actually entering the litter part. She does have a bad hip, so maybe the step down is too much for her? we also have the smaller Booda dome with no ramp (aka the Poopin' Hut). It is pretty small inside, too small for a large cat to turn around comfortably, IMHO. My 8lb. cat seems happy with it, though. They look good in the house (for a litterbox), my only complaint is that the big one is cumbersome to wash out. I do my soap scrub once a week in the bathtub and the box is too wide to fit. The lid is awkward to clean, also. I must say, that plant topped box is cool!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Here's one on Amazon

OOOOH, I'm liking this one!  It's way nicer than the one I've seen advertised here in UK, and smaller 'soil' area to avoid those confused about where to poop moments I was worrying about! 
  Assuming the tray and cover are wide enough and good height it looks pretty good and not too bad for cleaning.  Shame I can't find a supplier for it here in the UK. It would go really well in the corner of my bedroom. 

The reviews I've read on the Clean Step are variable, one comment I have from seeing it at a suppliers is it is huge!  Can believe Happybird's comments about cleaning.

baxterb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MServant, I have the potted plant litter box. The top half lifts off for easy cleaning. There is no insert, just put the litter in the bottom. The opening is plenty wide and it is big enough for a very large cat to get in and out of. It did come with decorative moss to put around the base of the plant that I never used, I knew that as soon as Baxter discovered it, it would be all over! Hope this helps.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
MServant, I have the potted plant litter box. The top half lifts off for easy cleaning. There is no insert, just put the litter in the bottom. The opening is plenty wide and it is big enough for a very large cat to get in and out of. It did come with decorative moss to put around the base of the plant that I never used, I knew that as soon as Baxter discovered it, it would be all over! Hope this helps.
Don't want to hi-jack as it's Matt's mom that's looking just now and not me but I am liking this box, and yes, the info' is helpful. I have similar need to Matts mom as the tray is visible so want it to fit in.  Any idea if there's a source for this one in the UK?  I've been looking for nice replacements for my Booda Roundabout for ages.  It's not desperate yet but the tray's starting to get a bit scratched inside so worried it won't clean so well.

baxterb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased from Amazon, I also have seen it advertised at Petco. I have it in the corner of a small area off the living room, as its the only place for his box. I wanted something that didn't look like a litter box and this works for me.