Keep Her On This Food, Or Switch?

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my cat in January, she was on Purina dry food. I switched her to Simply Nourish Grain-Free, Chicken Flavor. She's been eating this since February or so and likes it and seems to do well on it. I give her this to graze on during the day, because she is more of a nibbler, and she gets wet food in the morning and at night.

I currently have her rotating between Sheba, Nutro Max, and Good Natured for wet food, FWIW.

So knowing that she's doing okay on her dry food....should I keep with it, or is there a food of better quality (without bumping up the price range too much....) that I should switch her to?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if she’s okay on the food and you want to continue feeding dry then just keep it. There are higher quality dry foods, but honestly they’re not that much better that it would be worth switching. Unless you’re willing to switch to something like Ziwipeak which will be more expensive.

The other option, and the one I always recommend, is to just feed all wet, but some people choose to stick to the convenience of dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if she’s okay on the food and you want to continue feeding dry then just keep it. There are higher quality dry foods, but honestly they’re not that much better that it would be worth switching. Unless you’re willing to switch to something like Ziwipeak which will be more expensive.

The other option, and the one I always recommend, is to just feed all wet, but some people choose to stick to the convenience of dry.
My concern with feeding all wet is that because she grazes instead of eating meals, I'd have to leave it out all day for her, and I worry about it going bad. What would you recommend in that case?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My concern with feeding all wet is that because she grazes instead of eating meals, I'd have to leave it out all day for her, and I worry about it going bad. What would you recommend in that case?
If you can, I would spread out the food she gets across more feedings so that she's not leaving a bunch of food at every meal. If you can't do more feedings, then I personally think it's fine to leave wet food out for up to 2-3 hours (there are others on this site, including Dr. Lisa Pierson author of catinfo.org) that leave wet food out for up to 8 hours. Personally I don't like taking that risk. What I usually do if I'm going to be away for a long day is freeze portions of canned wet food in a covered ice cube tray. I just mix the food with a bit of water before freezing. Before I leave, I put out a portion of food for him in a bowl and it takes about 2 hours to defrost before he can eat it. When I'm home it's all gone.

There is also this bowl that I'm going to be ordering soon:It will keep canned food cold up to 6-8 hours I think. You can also put frozen canned food in it and it will defrost slower.

Another trick I know some people do is to get a timed feeder that has enough space where you can put an ice pack under it. Then if you're not home the timed feeder will feed your kitten on time while also keeping the food cold.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, I would spread out the food she gets across more feedings so that she's not leaving a bunch of food at every meal. If you can't do more feedings, then I personally think it's fine to leave wet food out for up to 2-3 hours (there are others on this site, including Dr. Lisa Pierson author of catinfo.org) that leave wet food out for up to 8 hours. Personally I don't like taking that risk. What I usually do if I'm going to be away for a long day is freeze portions of canned wet food in a covered ice cube tray. I just mix the food with a bit of water before freezing. Before I leave, I put out a portion of food for him in a bowl and it takes about 2 hours to defrost before he can eat it. When I'm home it's all gone.

There is also this bowl that I'm going to be ordering soon:It will keep canned food cold up to 6-8 hours I think. You can also put frozen canned food in it and it will defrost slower.

Another trick I know some people do is to get a timed feeder that has enough space where you can put an ice pack under it. Then if you're not home the timed feeder will feed your kitten on time while also keeping the food cold.
Can you re-upload the picture? Also the frozen cube is so smart.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you re-upload the picture? Also the frozen cube is so smart.
Thanks, I shouldn’t take credit though because I got the idea from others on this site. Which picture? I only posted a link. If it’s not working, just try googling Frosty Bowlz. This is the name of the product.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I shouldn’t take credit though because I got the idea from others on this site. Which picture? I only posted a link. If it’s not working, just try googling Frosty Bowlz. This is the name of the product.
Oh yeah, the link doesn't show on my computer so I didn't have the name. Thanks

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys also love Simply Nourish dry food, so that's what I've kept giving them. It's got a great price for the quality, and the bag lasts a long time because they only get about 1/4 cup a day, and like your cat they get wet in the morning and night.

Basically, if that food is working for you and your cat, stick with it!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me know how that works out for you! I've been thinking of buying that for emergencies when I have to be out of the house for more than 5-8 hours.

permanentruby permanentruby I would suggest Fancy Feast too. But only the classic line they've got as those are low in carbs. My friend uses Abound which is also grain-free and around the same price.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know how that works out for you! I've been thinking of buying that for emergencies when I have to be out of the house for more than 5-8 hours.
Yeah I'm excited about trying it. I added it to my wish list for Christmas so I may have to wait a couple months to try it. :catman: