Katie's Allergies

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, new poster with some major concerns about my kitty's health!

I should state up front that yes, she has been to a vet and will be going to a vet again soon, but I feel a bit at wits end and need to ask some more knowledgeable folks.

My little girl Katie has really severe allergies; we don't know what to beyond the fact that it's likely not fleas (flea medication doesn't seem to really curtail the allergic reactions nor are any fleas found on her). She scratches and gnaws on every inch of herself so incessantly that she's constantly scabby and periodically bloodied. She's been this way to one degree or another since we got her but she's been getting progressively worse over time to the point that it's really becoming a major concern for her well being. At this point, she's got nickle sized scabs on her chest and sides (managed to rip the chest one open today, red streaked all in her white fur). Some time ago, she had gotten a burst abscess on her neck in one of the places she used to scratch a lot. Of course I'm concerned for her general well-being, she's obviously not enjoying being so itchy if she's willing to do such harm to herself to relieve it, but more than that I'm concerned about her scratching causing further infections and abscesses to potentially lethal ends.

Last time we were at the vet, she got a shot, which was nice, though I admit that it didn't really seem to stop her scratching much, if at all. We have attempted to give her some antihistamine (a variety which, while not specifically intended for pets, was confirmed to be usable by them at specific low doses that we recorded). Unfortunately, even by cat standards, she is so violently opposed to any kind of pill, syringe, ect that it's just physically impossible to get medicine into her (even wrapped tight in a blanket and held down by two people, she finds a way to wrench herself away). She appears to smell or taste the medicine in any food or water she's given and refuses to consume it, so dosing her secretly hasn't proven much of a solution either. The best solution we've come up with thus far is just squirting it into her fur so she has to lick it out, but again, this doesn't seem to have helped her scratching any.

Given our location and home, there are a million and one things she could be allergic to. Her food, dust, mold, pollen, potentially fleas (though we doubt it at this point). We can afford to take her to the vet every once in a while, as we will be doing soon, but doubt we can afford extended allergy testing to determine what she's actually allergic to and unless it IS fleas or her food, there isn't much we could do about it anyways (we certainly can't afford a high end HEPA filter).

Is there anyone who has experience with this sort of thing who can offer advice? I'd like to help the poor girl before she flays herself alive, but I'm honestly out of ideas.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a limited ingredient food?  That's where I would start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did, yes, though the results were inconclusive. Back then, her itchyness came and went frequently so it was hard to tell what the food was/wasn't doing. It also proved near impossible to keep her diet separate from the other cat's (we have 6 others).

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food allergies are probably the most common type.  I would re-visit this idea and put more effort into keeping her on this diet for another trial. If necessary consider putting ALL your cats on this diet for a period of time.  If it works you at least have important info and can devise a longer term feeding strategy.  Look for novel protein foods like duck and peas, rabbit and peas, etc.

Stephen

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got some Blue Buffalo from the last attempt; would that be sufficient?

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it exclusively in the canned variety? She's an odd duck in that she refuses to touch wet food, only goes for the dry.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scroll down a bit on the page and you'll find the dry variety. 

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stupendous! I'll look into it. Out of curiosity, why does Blue Buffalo sometimes contribute to allergies? Is there some allergen that it possesses that Duck & Pea doesn't? I've got the Blue out right now. Knowing why it causes problems and D&P doesn't can help dial in what exactly it is she's allergic to (if indeed the Blue doesn't seem to help her and D&P does end up doing so).

Related question: How long of an observation period would you say would confirm if she is/isn't allergic to a particular food? Ballpark time that the old food's allergenic reaction would continue after she stopped eating it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea about the Blue Buffalo, but I just know from personal experience and from some of the experiences of some on this board.  It could be one of the ingredients or how it's processed.  I think there are fewer ingredients in the D&P, so you're limiting what the kitty is exposed to in the diet.

Food takes approximately 12 weeks to completely get out of the body, according to my vet, so you want to try a new diet for at least a month or more.  I know when we were trying to figure out what was causing Daisy's coughing fits, I saw a significant improvement in about 2 weeks after cutting out the BB.  Changing foods too much too frequently can also contribute to problems, in my own experience. 

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got it, useful information then.

I've got the BB right now, and it's gotta be better (or have better chances at least) than the cheap-o wall-mart stuff, but I'll work on getting some D&P in and see how that works out.

kojiarala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After many weeks of checking with the vet, testing out a new diet and some new medication, it finally appears that Katie just had a ridiculously severe flea allergy! Not good, but completely treatable. Reason no fleas were found, the vet suspects, is because she was so very allergic that she immediately removed the single offending flea when bitten and continued to suffer from the bite for weeks. Got her a pair of cortisone shots and a this fancy new "Cheristin" anti-flea medication and now all is well. Remains to be seen if she'll continue to be just as good after we're back on the "normal" flea meds and she hasn't had any recent cortisone, but it at least looks like we've zeroed in on the cause of her troubles!

Just figured I'd give the all-clear update and note what the real cause turned out to be for anyone who might have a cat suffering similarly.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you figured out what was going on and that it's treatable!  Make sure she's dewormed for tapeworms, since it's an automatic guarantee if there are fleas.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your cat?  Is it still on the Cheristin for Cats?  My LATE cat was on this poison for ~1-1/2 years and it killed her as she developed neurotoxic paralysis from the SPINETORAM that is the active ingredient in Cheristin for Cats.  She was RX'd it for the same reason -- flea allergy.  It is not a miracle cure, it is a deadly toxin that killed my cat.  Please advise ASAP!  Thank you very much.