Just wondering: What was the nicest compliment you ever got? (non-physical)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know that I have a "nicest" compliment. To me, the best ones have been from people I really respect, when they have expressed appreciation of my character or ability, or from my parents, in being proud of me.

One that particularly stands out was an advisor in college. I don't remember exactly how he put it, but the idea was that I'm not ever stuck in one mindset, I'm willing to be "wrong," admit it, learn from my mistakes, and he could think of no better qualities in a truth-seeker.

The best unspoken compliment I ever got was when my former partner needed to hire two people to replace me.

The most important compliments I've ever gotten are from Gary.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few years ago it was my first day in a new job as an assistant manager in a bar. I was really nervous and it was really busy. I was working flat out trying to organise things when one of the chefs there said 'You may be small but you're effective' it really broke the ice & we fell about laughing. We became good friends. Even now if people ask me to describe myself I say 'small but effective'!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, when I was a novice zoning officer, I had to prep for my first zoning hearing board meeting, which involves a tremendous amount of paperwork, writing, calculations and the like. It's not difficult, but it is quite labor-intensive....it has to be because the more information the people on the board have, the better decision they can make for an applicant. So the information has to be correct and exact.

After my first board meeting, the ZHB attorney (who was and still is known for being very brusque) walked over to me and told me that she was very impressed with the amount of effort I had put into my presentation. She was known for not handing out compliments and it truly surprised everybody. And even though I'm not the zoning officer anymore, she and I are still close friends. When I stopped doing zoning for the municipality, she was upset because the guy who took over for me doesn't really do the job all that well.

I've gotten compliments about the way I look or the way I dress, particularly for work, but the ones about my work mean the most to me.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine was "you're a wonderful mother". After not having a very good relationship with my own mother I worry, a lot, that I'm going to end up being a failure and the last thing I want is to make my girls feel the way my mom made me feel growing up. Sometimes hearing that I AM a good mother helps.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by P&R

Mine was "you're a wonderful mother". After not having a very good relationship with my own mother I worry, a lot, that I'm going to end up being a failure and the last thing I want is to make my girls feel the way my mom made me feel growing up. Sometimes hearing that I AM a good mother helps.
Mine is along the same lines. My 4 year old niece gave me a Mother's Day card this year. She had her uncle (my brother) take her to the store to get it because she didn't want anyone else (like her parents) to know. She told my brother that "she's like a mother to me".

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, kinda a long setup, but here goes:
when i auditioned for Godspell, one of my fellow auditioners [is that even a word?] was auditioning to write an article about the experience [she was a reporter with the local paper]. she interviewed all of the other auditioners & asked why we'd chosen that show, what did we feel the experience was like, how we'd chosen our audition piece, etc. i told her that one of the reasons i'd chosen this show was because of my faith [Godspell is almost literally taken from the Gospel of Matthew].
anyway, the director really liked her, & offered her a role, which she accepted. at the end of a run, many people in the cast will give small tokens or cards to express how much they've enjoyed working on it with their fellow cast members. her card to me had the compliment i most treasure on it - she said that my example, behavior and attitude had caused her to look again at the person i attributed it to [Jesus].