Just tried nail caps...

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by izatrini

Nail caps are such a good idea!!!! I trimmed Ed's nails about a week and a half ago and they are already back to pre-trimming sharpness. I guess she realises she has the nails back and is now clawing the crap out of me, daddy and everything else she can get her claws on!!!

Declawing is so mean and I was trying to figure out what would be a good alternative. I think I will be looking into nail caps!

Thanks!!!
I hope they work well for you! I had a really good experience with them- they worked well for our cats.

If you're unsure about how to apply them the first time, you can call around to groomers & vets in your area to find one that can apply them for you the first time, and show you how it's done. Also, the www.softpaws.com web site FAQ is really helpful, and if you have questions that aren't addressed on the site you can email their customer support.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of using the soft claws on my two kittens so I'm glad to be reading more info about it. How long does it last before you have to reapply them,in general?
Also,I am getting a new leather couch,loveseat very soon and I"m petrified they will demolish it. Does anyone out there have a leather couch...any ideas on how to protect it....is it a kitty magnet? My kittens are still pretty young yet so there isn't a lot of clawing furniture going on,but I worry......Any of my other furniture,I don't worry so much about.Even though I will try to keep them from scratching ANY piece of furniture.
I didn't realize there was such a variety of colors for the soft claws. The Christmas colors would be so neat this time of year!

houmedgal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I got some Soft Paws for Lucy, as my couch was taking quite a beating, and they have worked beautifully!! Usually one or two fall off within the first week after I put them on, but after I replace those, I usually don't have to replace any more for a couple weeks...and generally, they fall off one by one so I'm only replacing one or two at a time. Lucy doesn't mind them at all, and my couch is MUCH happier!!! I'll probably be putting them on Milo when he gets a bit bigger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I volunteered at the HS on Tue. night. A lady adopted a cat & wanted to declaw him. As per the adoption contract she cannot. I gave her the softpaws website, but she went to the pet store to buy some. She brought her kitty to me & Thur night I helped her apply nail caps. She called yesterday worried that we did something wrong becasue one fell off. I told her they would, & walked her through re-applying a nail cap. I think she really likes them!

jozmonte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
I too love the soft paws. I have them on my kitten to keep her from scratching her big brother. My male is 7 years old and was declawed by his previous owner. My only concern is that twice now, she has gotten caught on a scatter rug. She was dragging it to me when I realized she was stuck. I had to cut her loose. I was just glad I was home when it happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear such ringing endorsements of nailcaps. I'm thinking of trying them on my two "kittens" (well, at 1 1/2 years old their technically not kittens anymore, but they haven't totally mellowed like their elders yet). They have been much more destructive than my other three combined when they were their ages and hubby is getting quite upset about it. The only sad part for me is that I assume they won't be able to climb their cat tree with them on. I really like watching them play on that, but maybe it can come back sometime, once they settle down a bit more.