Just Trapped a Calico - taking for Surgery Tomorrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
June 28, 2012 Callee Update:

Progress is obvious - but, I think we've got a little stinker here!  She is still hissing at me, but I'm not all that sure what her intentions are - she knows I'm bringing her food to her, yet she hisses at me.  She also starts to charge at me.  Now I don't know if this should be a behavioral red flag or not - or - if she's just checking out how brave she should be ??

I do have a video of sorts with her battle technique of backing into KiKi while they are playing.  Sorry - I'm a novice and didn't know how to edit out the sound from the TV.

Our Simon has stopped his marking now, so I guess I've managed to get all the urine that Callee left during her training - but, he is enjoying chasing Callee - something she's not happy about - she does have several safe places.  I'd rather he be chasing her than spraying!  

Last edited by a moderator:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, :woohoo: that Simon has stopped the marking! Great job, Gloria and hope it continues to be good news on that front :cross: :clap: :vibes:

AND :flail: OMG I am sorry - but Callee just cracks me up. I have never seen that playful technique before :lol3: That is pretty darn funny. She must have learned that from someone. What a little stinker and she is very, very smart. Come at your target face on and then turn and plop your butt on their face. :rofl: I honestly did not see anything at all that was aggressive. Nope that is all play and she must love to play. My Pipsqueak would give her a run for her money though :lol2: Really, Kiki is a total saint :nod: :rub: She must love Callee, you can tell. :heart3: As for Callee hissing at you, not sure on that one. Does she like any kitty treats? Temptations are a real favorite or even Whole Life freeze dried chicken. Something that she really loves to eat and only offer that to her on occasion and lavish her with pets (if you can) during that time. She is still having some "trust" issues, I think. Hopefully, in time and as she ages, this will pass. :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you enjoyed watching her battle technique - she's a kick, for sure.

Yes, she loves KiKi - she's after him the moment he goes into the room.  (They're separated at night for food/feeding arrangements.  I feed KiKi on a prescription diet and he can't have what I feed her.  Our first three - KiKi, the oldest and most easy going, and brother and sister - Phoebe and Simon, are Callee's friends during the daytime.)

ANYway - sometimes KiKi just gets so pestered that he has to leave - and so far, Callee is afraid to leave the room - so, he can find some alone time. KiKi hasn't met another animal that he doesn't want to know better, and actually - Simon and Phoebe aren't as much fun anymore - so Callee is just the answer to his inactivity, so I'm glad she likes him so much.

When Simon is in the room - Callee is on Alert, ready to find her safe place should he decide to get too close.

Hissing:  She's really funny - her treats are the dry "cookies" of the Royal Canin Urinary SO - she lets me get so close to her to give her the Treat, then if KiKi isn't there - I get a hiss.

I'm sure she's still developing the trust issues - and I guess she's really come a long way in her socialization process - it's just that sometimes I forget how little time we've had her in the house - since January - so actually only 6 months.  I'm watching the charging part, though, not wanting to ignore something I need to get a handle on before it becomes a behavioral issue.  :)  I want love, not war.  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE your attitude and wish so many others would read your post. YES - six months really is not a long time and look at the progress you are making :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: It sounds to me that Kiki is her "safety" net and I would use that to your advantage here. Good observation :nod: AND love not war - yes..... actually when she charges you, I would HISSSSSSS at her at this point. I don't think that will totaly crush any progress or trust you have made with her. Just try it once and see what reaction you get. She might just need to get some respect where you are concerned. Let her know she has crossed that line with you and show your dissapproval. Keep up the great work, Gloria! :hugs: :hugs: :clap::clap::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gloria, I am so happy for everyone that it is turning out well, wth ups and downs of course but all in the right direction. I am sorry but I have had to delete your video link as the site does not enable direct links to youtube. Can you post it again, embedding the video by using the video icon at the top of the screen.

Last edited:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Gloria, I am so happy for everyone that it is turning out well, wth ups and downs of course but all in the right direction. I am sorry but I have had to delete your video link as the site does not enable direct links to youtube. Can you post it again, embedding the video by using the video icon at the top of the screen.
I tried using the video link first - but - got a message that I couldn't  and directed me to youtube??

When I clicked on the video icon this is a window message that I got:

" EMBED VIDEO  Paste the appropriate Video URL or Embed code below

YouTube and Vimeo are supported (then a space for me to put in the YouTube link.   ??

So, I'm confused. :) There's no direction to download the video from my computer like I would have expected. :)

I'll try again and if I have an issue I'll ask for help.  Thanks Jenny.

Last edited:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I tried to replace the blah, blah, blah with music, but failed, so if you just mute the video it would probably be better. :)

Hope this works, Jen. :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I just had to watch again. That is just hilarious, Callie's play techniques. :lol2: Kiki just adores her. You can see that plain as day. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it adds a smile to your day!!

Callee is going to live up the the Calico label - she's a real kick to watch.

We are having some issues with her "cousins", Simon and Phoebe. I was protecting Callee, and shaking my finger at Simon when he started to cause trouble - BUT, not any more - I think she's been the trouble-maker and I just wasn't looking at the right time. She probably wants to play with them, too - they just aren't getting with the Program, well, not just yet, anyway. :lol3:

She belongs with our family - my husband is especially taken with her because she responds to him better, than with me.

I'm still getting the hissing when I bring her food, and beginning to think this may be just her idea of telling me to hurry with the food ????.

Right now I just saw her lunge at Phoebe - maybe it's because Phoebe (a Calico) picked a fight with KiKi - go figure ---- it's fun observing, anyway. It's a miracle that I was able to get some of her antics on video.

Callee does have a light advantage over Simon, Phoebe, and KiKi - her front claws - and, there will be no trimming yet - you can understand why. :lol3:

(When I was uneducated about declawing - and, not for furniture reasons, I was just very fearful of getting clawed not knowing how to handle a cat - we had the Original Three declawed when we had them altered, so I'm especially careful for them and keeping them from fighting with the other cats that have claws. --- When I was a child I had some bad experiences getting scratched up and I still carry the scar on my chest. I think that was when the fear originated.)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - Callee certainly sounds like a smart, comical little clown. She has a wonderful home with you now and is lucky to have you caring for her. :clap::clap:

I think we all were uneducated about declawing years ago. :alright: It was just the thing to do, neuter/declaw :bawling: and the vets did nothing to inform cat owners about truly what is involved in declawing a cat. I just :cringe: cringe thinking of it. I am so thankful that people are becoming aware of the radical surgery to remove cat's claws. I hope that someday it will illegal in this country. :cross:

Keep up the great work with Callee - love the updates!!!! :D :wavey: