Just took in a stray

dena81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just took in a stray that we've been feeding for about a year or so.  She's now full-time indoors but she's still getting a little crazy with it.  At times she'll cry and scratch at the door to be let out or stare out the window.  I don't want to let her out as I've had too many strays I've cared for end up badly and die young from it.  But I don't really know what to do to calm her down and make sure she's not stressed out. 

Any suggestions? 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been to the vet to be spayed?  That should be the first step.

You can try a feliway diffuser.  Also do you play with her?

She needs her indoor space to be attractive and fun filled.  Do she have a cat tree to climb or a perch to look out the window?  You can add a bird feeder to make it more attractive.

Inside is definitely best.  I would try very hard to work and distract her from wanting to be outside.  A really good play session might help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, make her her own hide corner.  Say a cat igloo, where you can get to her if necessary, but normally you dont do it.  That igloo being her own safety place.

Also a couple of scratching posts.

Two different litters - outside cats usually dont do both businesses in the same place.

Do you have residents?   Are they healthy, full on vaccinations, used to go outside OR themselves also ex rescuers?   If so, you dont need to overdo the necessary quarantine period.

But if there are any no, play it safe, let her get the clean biill of health by the vet, deworm and deparasitate, and get some quarantine period before you let them meet.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this would make things better or worse but .. would you consider walking her outside on a cat harness?