Just Took In A Semi Feral..need Info On If We Are Doing This Right

caspersfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I'm brand new here. Thanx to all who read this. This might be long. Last May, we saw a new cat in neighborhood, very skinny, skittish around humans. Took my husband awhile, but he got cat to come on porch. Other neighbors had been trying to get cat near them too. Eventually, he came for feedings and let us touch him ONLY if we had food. Any sudden movements, boom, cat was gone. We joined homeless cat management team to get info. We tried trapping for a long time with humane traps, drop traps, even laundry basket. The cat was smart and avoided everything, including us for awhile. Finally, timing right, my husband armed with heavy gloves and coat, brought him in house. We had a room set up for him with his self warming bed he was using on porch, kitty litter, toys, food, water and treats. He has his own radios, with classical playing.Have since added Feliway plugin and cat attract for litter, thanx to advice from others. We put a cat carrier with towel in it for him. He was neutered last week. He had vet check with flying colors and got vaccinated. Anyways, he mainly stays in cat carrier. We have evidence he comes out of carrier at night, uses litter pan, HATES toys and eats the treats we leave around the room. On Wed, we should have the cat scratcher/tree climb we ordered. He has been here for 8 days now and sometimes he lefts us touch head slightly, but warns when to stop. So, is he doing ok for this amount of time? Do we need to do something to coax him out of carrier? Is he ok spending most of day in there without stretching his legs? And should he be sleeping almost all day? BTW...his name is Casper, given to him by one of our neighbors.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a stray, feral. I took her in when I saw a green discharge coming out of her nose and eyes. I put her
in my spare room for the night and rushed her to the vet the next morning. She had a severe resp. infection
but was ok after treatment. It took her 4 months to let me pet her. I did not even try. I saw her once during that
time using the litter box. After awhile she would be on the bed with the other cats when I got home from work,
but would run. Then one day she let me pet her!! Then spring came and she wanted out. She was gone for
a month but came back. I think you'll have o be patient with him. He is probably kind of scared because of the
neutering, trip to vet. Just keep loving him. :cheerleader::welcomesign::hugs:

Welcome!

Mia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caspersfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure how to change it on my message. He is not a kitten. He is 1 1/2 years old. We keep giving him attention throughout the day by visiting and giving treats. Just not sure if this is the right thing for him. Right now the temps are way to low to make decision, but wondering how long we give it? He seems so sad, scared and mad.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It just takes time lots and lots of time. I have previously brought 2 ferals inside. Last week I brought my remaining 3 inside. Mine too are not happy. This is to be expected.

I try to visit as often as possible. Two of mine were hiding under a chair which I had to remove. Now one of them just sits on the bottom level of a cat tree. He does venture out at night as well. I have a wireless ip camera that I use to record them at night so I can see what is happening.

I have had really good luck with Composure liquid max or composure treats. They are non sedating calming supplements. My other two feral boys loved them. This time around, my 3 do not like the liquid or the treats. I am using some flower essences and a feliway plug in too. I am going to use some Comfort Zone phermone spray today.

My 3 are not very interested in toys either. They will bat at a feather wand or string under a blanket. One of mine is doing well and likes to play and is very happy to be inside. Yet he has been with me for 7 years. The other two have been with me for 3-4 years. None of them have ever lived inside a house.

It is bone chilling cold here. They can and will adjust, it just takes lots of time and patience. The first feral I brought inside, took almost a year to feel ok inside. The second one was only a few months.

I am moving in about 7 weeks thus the need to bring mine inside. I decided with the very cold temperatures now was the right now. I hope it will help them to be ok when we make the move.

Keep visiting him as often. I often just take my laptop and sit down and talk with them. Two of them really like treats and small bits of tuna. I try to make the visits special.

Hang in there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And thank you for feeding Casper all those months, and now bringing him inside and getting him neutered. He doesn't know it yet, but his life will be a million times better than it ever could have been if you and your husband hadn't intervened.

I have no experience at all with ferals, but I have read a lot of threads here on this site and so have learned a lot.

Some suggestions I've seen are:
- say the cat's name before you open the door, so he gets used to you appearing in the room
- bring treats or something yummy with you, so he associates you with yummy things.
- don't loom over him, but stay low to his level
- sit in the room and read anything, just so he gets used to your voice

Here's an article that might have some useful suggestions: Handling Feral Cats

The above article, plus many more can be found at this link: Ferals & Rescue | The Cat Site

Good luck. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted. :catrub:And post a pic of dear Casper, if you can. :camera: