Just terthing or something more?

Melanib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a small kitten about 3 weeks ago. Shelter didnt know age, just guessing at 3 months? He got all his shots, neutered etc and came home with endless energy and curiosity.
3 days ago, he seemed more reserved. Not playing, but exhibiting no outward symptoms. Appetite normal, drinking plenty of water, bathroom habits normal. Just seems lethargic and even weak. He can jump up where he could just a few days before.
We noticed when eating he was tilting head and gave up after a bit. For soft food, he was more interested in licking gravy. Fast forward we realized we could eat scraping and clicking and found his canine adult teeth were erupting next to his baby teeth on top. I dont know enough about kitty dentition to judge back teeth. Watching him closely, we could definitely see this is affecting his eating, although it hasn't hurt his appetite.
Were on day three and despite us trying to offer soft food every few hours, plenty of water and cuddle time, hes still lethargic to a point that worries us. If we move him to a bed to rest, he just sits/lays where we put him.
Everything I've read indicate teething should be almost unnoticeable and I've had a number of cats and never seen this.
No blatant indications of infection or respiratory issues and none of the other cats at home have any similar symptoms.
We have called vet and have appt tomorrow evening. I want to feel more educated going in. Ask the right questions or for the right tests.
Thoughts?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's not eating well if at all and so doesn't have a lot of energy. Continue offering the soft food. if you can mash it up so it's lickable so he can just lick it up as that may increase the amount of food that he's getting into him which may help him feel better. As it's totally possible that his teeth are the problem.

At the vet I would talk to them about all of your concerns and ask the vet if his teeth being like they are is preventing him from eating properly and what foods and such can be done to help.

I suggest writing down your concerns and questions and also writing down the vets answer, if not entirely than at least enough for you to remember what the answer was.

Even if the concern/question seems stupid to you. Asking/ talking about it will help you feel better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! You have articulated what is going on with your kitty very clearly and I would basically give that same overview to the vet. Like you, I have had many young cat in my life and have never even been aware of teething it goes so smoothly. I would definitely get a response about the teeth that are retained and have the vet look in his mouth, but I would also be concerned that the teething might be coincidental to something that is not related to it. There could certainly be some obscure kitten dental condition that I am not aware of, but it seems as if he is not doing well, doing worse in fact, over all. He has had his shots, so many of the major diseases should be ruled out, but you can check this list of core and non core vaccines to see if there could be something that might be a possibility. Make sure to tell the vet which vaccines he has had.

Is there anything he could have gotten into and eaten?

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles