Just started the LPS Treatment Syrup

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a cat show up at our door Thanksgiving Week of 2013 - it was matted up from the shoulders to tail - tongue hanging out - drool 5 inches long - we knew it has been somebodies cat before because it would let my husband pick it up and to try to give a brush as best he could - long story somewhat short - we took it to our vet - found out she was a she - did all the usual `found a cat tests' - all test came back negative - we made the decision to let them clean up her mouth - 12 teeth extracted and a huge vet bill we have another cat (long story about the other 4, will stay on subject) - after the procedure she came home with continued drool and tongue hanging out - that's when we discovered the stomatitis - then I did research and kept coming across post/blogs/comments abut this LPS Treatment thru the Dallas clinic - suggested it to my vet and she followed up them - papers passed hands (we are in Arizona) - and last week our bottle (nice to read in the prior posts that a pill form is a option) arrived and we started on Saturday - Smokey (that's her name) is not get dosed she still has skitty kitty issues from being outside (for how long we don't know, we do know she had been in this condition for a long time per the vet) - from all the posts I read here it all seems still a little iffy as to what results if any we may see - having said that as some other post suggest they long term use of steroids is not where it's at - I thought from what I had read on other sites that this was a `30 day treatment plan' to put the stomatitis in recession, however, it looks like that may not be the case - I will continue to check in and update on our experience with this syrup as treatment - thanks for all the post and comments it seems this condition is certainly not unusual.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I have read here it's an all or nothing thing with the syrup.  Some kitties go into complete remission and it has no effect on others.  Hopefully she goes into remission, she deserves some happy pain free time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have your vet call the Dallas clinic and discuss the progress with them.  They are very helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to the Advisors for the nice comments - Day 4 update - I am using this forum as a sort of electronic record of our attempt to put this Stomatitis into remission - Smokey threw up her morning feeding - she is on to us in the morning routine and hid behind the holiday totes to which I had to extract her kindly - we gave her the daily dose of syrup afterward - she is back out now and has eaten two bowls (4 tablespoons, maybe) of hard food (Fancy Feast hard food is all she will eat now) - when she first came inside around Thanksgiving 2013 she would eat anything and everything and would leave nothing behind - one day she flipped a switch and totally went off soft food, canned tuna and chicken, cooked chicken and turkey - only Fancy Feast hard is where it's at - we have tried everything on the market - we understand that there are some side affects to this syrup and wonder are they now coming to the surface with the throwing up - some digestive side affects we were warned of thru our vet due to the ingredients in the syrup - tomorrow Day 5.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully she will adjust to the treatment.  At least she is eating, even poor quality food is much better than not eating at all.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried splitting the dose into 2 and gradually upping until she's at the recommended dose?  That might be easier on her tummy.  I have a friend who recently went through this same problem with this med, but don't remember what they recommended her doing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I searched through my FB messages and the upset tummy is a known factor with the syrup.  There is something that they will give you to mix in that will help.  One thing my friend mentioned is to not give the meds on an empty tummy.
Friend (with stomatitis kitty):  Jim told me there were a certain percentage of cats that had GI upset with this, and to never give it on an empty stomach.

Me:  You might ask him if it's okay to give her Pepcid to help calm her tummy if it persists. I used to give pepcid to my CRF kitty in her final stages. I don't remember the dose.

Friend:  He said if it continues, that he would call my vet and have him add an additional ingredient to the mix to settle her tummy.
So let your vet know what's going on and also call the clinic in Dallas.  Ask them for the stuff to settle the tummy.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice - it's a little tricky here for before we started this treatment she had started to vomit her food and then she went to not wanting to eat at all - we took her to the vet to get the blood work done for the Dallas clinic (they will not issue treatment without having blood work) that was two weeks ago - at that time the vet gave her more steroid shots a long acting one and a short acting one to get her back to eating - so having said that I am perplex to if the treatment is not working at all and the meds she received two weeks ago are wearing off - her mouth/stomatitis was the worse our vet clinic had come across - she was really bad off at the time she showed up at the door - so, we are grasping for a treatment to make her better and that is why we are trying the syrup - I will pass the info on to my clinic here on your thoughts - thank you again.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention when she threw up her first feeding this morning she had not had a dose of the syrup treatment since yesterday morning or 24 hours - when we give her the dose of treatment she is not immediately vomiting.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 5 - Smokes threw up her morning feeding again - other than yesterday morning the same she threw up her morning feeding the rest of the day went well, she ate good, she was active several times during day playing with her toys and drinking water - we have given her the dose for today (which isn't easy - you have to catch her (she's on to us) and get her burrito'd up), she is not gonna make it easy for us that is for sure).

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you can ask your vet about giving Pepcid.  Vomiting in the morning is often a sign of excess stomach acid.  Normally people just go ahead and use it but I don't know how it would mix with this syrup.  

If you do use it you want the regular strenghth and not the one marked as complete, just the regular strenghth regular Pepcid.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Denise, thank you the suggestion and the knowledge that it may be built up stomach acid, interesting - I will ask my Vet's opinion from both of the advisors here - again, we can do nothing more than take day by day I am just making a diary of sorts of the 30 treatment of the syrup in hopes that is all it is `a 30 day treatment' - will keep posting as necessary, thank you again.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies Denice spelled your name wrong

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 6 was not so good - Smokey threw up twice - was very low key all day - this morning went well - she seems like she is adjusting to the fact that it is a every day happening - we believe she ate during the nite and kept it down (we haven't found anything this morning) - she has had her daily dose for today without incident, so maybe she will not be so nervous - let's hope for a good day, think happy thoughts!

Just a FYI to anyone that cares to read - I found this link yesterday - just one of those`.. just when you think you have it bad someone else has it a lot worse' - Lilly's story:

http://www.squidoo.com/stomatitis-in-cats

click on the link at the end to get all of Lilly's full story.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just spoke with our technician at the clinic we use - she was very much ok with the Pepcid - thank you both for the suggestion for this is a first for our home - we are learning something new everyday - I am going to get some Pepcid and give it a try - maybe dose her in the afternoons with Pepcid and give her syrup dose in the morning - it seems we have to sort all this out ourselves for the clinic doesn't seem to have all the answers either - giving both at the same time may be counter productive - the technician said I could give a quarter of a dose, I assume that to mean a quarter of a pill - I ask if I could crush in water and dose in a syringe and she was good with that - so here we go.....

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week into treatment - gave Smokes a quarter dose of Pepcid yesterday evening between 6 PM & & 7PM - we believe she ate food last nite - no sign of throwing up this morning - her mice/toys were everywhere this morning so she is playing - heard her `barking' in the early morning (could've been a cat at the door outside, she may have been having a chat) - got her daily dose of syrup in this morning and will get a dose of Pepcid in this evening - again thank you to the advisors here for the suggestion of Pepcid.

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 7 - geez, what a miracle the Pepcid seems to be - thank both the advisors here AGAIN ! - yesterday afternoon she was playing, rolling around on the floor - another dose of Pepcid last evening - she has not throw up since - again today a dose of the syrup, however, we are looking at the bottle given to us and think we only have maybe a weeks worth left - this was suppose to be a 30 day supply - I hope our clinic mixed correctly and the dose .50 a day was correct.....

chanelzed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 10 - Smokes is doing pretty good - she is getting used to the morning routine and it's a lot easier on all of us, a lot of calm - talk with Kelly at the Dallas Clinic yesterday (she is wonderful) - it seems our bottle somehow got mixed incorrectly - we are on day 10 and it appears in the initial bottle to be maybe 3 more days worth, that would be 2 weeks out of a supposed 30 day treatment  - so, Kelly is going to send our clinic here in Arizona another round - she is also going to put beef flavor and something to settle the stomach into the formula - hopefully we get it right on the next bottle - Kelly also felt that our girl will be on the treatment for some time to come - when Smokey should up at our door is was really really bad off - on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worse she was probably a 15 - our clinic, as I stated before, claim is was/is one of the worst cases they had seen - having said that, Smokes only had to have 12 teeth removed - our clinic and the Dallas clinic are not clinic's that believe to extract all teeth is going to fix the problem we have - and from all that I have read it is usually a 80/20 percent chance and the 20% may still have the stomatitis - at the end of this 30 day treatment we will get blood work done if all looks good with the #'s we will proceed on to another 30 days of treatment (better than steroids if it keeps the stomatitis at bay...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wander if mixing it so that it is too strong is why she had issues with it upsetting her tummy.  I am so glad that she is doing well.  Just the experiences I have had with one bad tooth I can imagine how painful this condition must be.