Just some first time kitten owner questions

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've had Sam for almost 2 months, it's been getting really hot upstairs in the bedroom so we spend most of our time downstairs. In the evening when it's getting dark he's been going into my dogs kennel and peeing on her bed. Thankfully it has a waterproof cover so it washes easily but this is the second time he's done it. He will use the cat box upstairs during the day (I do take him up off and on myself id he doesn't go up on his own) but at night it's almost like he doesn't remember where the cat box is. I've been bringing it downstairs in the evening now if I know I'm staying down there and back upstairs at night for bed. Getting another cat box just isn't going to work right now because this place is pretty small but does anyone know a reason for this? He doesn't get in trouble for it, I should have thought about that and just brought it down to begin with but now I'm concerned that if I put the bed back in there that he may just continue to pee on it.

Another big issue we are having is my dogs are used to having the backdoor open all day long which we can't now and the screen door has no screen below its just open. I'm not sure how to go about making a screen for that window or what kind of screen to use for it that won't tear if he decides to climb it. He hasn't bothered the screens at all so far but if we go outside he has a fit because he wants out too and we haven't gotten supplies for his outdoor enclosure yet. Later on during the summer when we have the AC on it won't be such a problem but the rest of the year it will be. I've tried to find a solution to having the door open for the dogs and not having him run out but this place is a rental so we are very limited in what can be done so adding a screen to the door is about the only option.

Toy rotation, how do I go about doing that? He doesn't have a whole lot of toys yet and when I bring him home a new toy he loves it for about a week and than it's pretty old hat. He will play with it at night sometimes but for the most part he's all about the new stuff. Do I just stash them away for a week? 2 weeks? Keep only a few out at a time?

Last question I promise, has anyone successfully done a diy cat gate that they can't climb or jump over? My mom doesn't want him in her room her windows are left open all day because the upstairs gets so hot and the screens are barley in there. A blanket had barely touched the window when it fell and the screen came right out. Right now we have boards in her doorway which are working well but they're a little difficult in the middle of the night and he has started sprinting for places he isn't allowed to go. I've seen people use wire shelves but he's not declawed and I won't declaw him so that seems like that would just be a really fun climb for him. The gates with vertical bars always are too short or overly expensive.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure that he's as safe as he can be if he fell out of a window or somehow got out of the backyard I'd lose my marbles and I don't have many left anyway ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should definitely consider a second small litter box downstairs, I have three in my small house and believe me, they are all used. He thinks the bed is a litter box. Try to be thankful that he is using one, he could be peeing in a corner! He has been there only two months, that is not long at all in cat time.Eventually he'll get used to the situation and the litter box situation will get better. As for the screen situation you can get 'pet proof' screen at any hardware store, I have it and it is MUCH better against claw marks. You can purchase wood lath to staple it on if it is a wood door, if it is aluminum you can take the door to a glass replacement establishment and they can fit you one in, but you might see what a replacement wood screen door would cost, they are very inexpensive, I got one that was slightly damaged for 20.00. I hung one on a room opening (like your Mom's) to get some cats used to each other, the small holes it leaves is easily repairable if you have to take it down with spackling, or wood filler if you attach it to a wood door frame. It is so much easier to enter the room, because I tried those gates too, and they were a pain. As for toys, I keep rotating them every couple of weeks to keep their interest up, I store them in a ziplock baggie with catnip sprinkled on top. Just shake them off inside the bag or it makes a mess, but they absolutely LOVE their 'new' toys! Good luck, I think your little one will do fine, he just needs some time to adjust, he'll bring you many years of joy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I'll definitely try the cat nip with his toys and I'd like to go around and pick up a few others for him. Has anyone had any success with corner litter boxes? They seem small but his other one is covered I don't know if that would make a difference to him and has anyone used the kitty mod box? I like the small idea but I wouldn't mind trying to make one myself. I'll have to look at the screen and see if I could make a suitable fit, it's a metal screen door I also had a thought at my old house had the metal decorative screen door inserts I always loved those and I was wondering if that would reinforce the screen any? I'm not sure if you can just put them on any door, I'm going to look for another screen door and see how much that is too. My biggest problem is I'm worried the wood is to dry and worn that it might make replacing the door harder to do. Sam is very much worth the extra work and I like doing diy projects. :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
cat nipping the toys helps. if you ever go to blue seal feeds store or other pet stores there is a brand of cat toy called Zowwiiee I think its called=they last for EVER. the cats love these catnip toys-amazon sells them too. I have some that are 5 years old and they STILL play with them.

Toys=empty box on its side=with flaps=put crinkled paper in the box or scattered around the house-kitten will play with it. plus if he shreds it then it wont be a big deal. milk cap squiggle thing-those rings you pull off a new cap-they love these. you can use thick ribbon or those drawstrings from your sweatshirts-I tied 5 together to make a long snake. tie to my pants-and walk around the house...they love this. just remember never to leave string or these types of things out without supervision. but you can use to play with and monitor so they don't eat it. I have not had any kitty eat drawstrings from my shirts but I don't leave it out.

Screen doors etc

craigslist is a great place to look for a used screen door-some may give it away free-for your mothers doorway-a month ago I found a screen for a window that is one of those expandable ones to fit inside the window-it slides out or in to fit-no tools needed.

We also replaced the screen on the window and they have screen at home depot and a tool to push the bead into the grove around it-just ask them to show you where these items are=the tool to push the bead in to hold the screen was $4. the screen I think was $10. so you can put another screen into the door that is broken. You just have to take the door off the hinges but its easy to do with a screw driver or a battery powered hand drill with a bit.

Baby gates are an option if you know someone throwing them away-you can zip tie two gates together one on top of another to block the cat and dog from going into a room but still allow airflow.

Litter box-add a second small litter box into the dog kennel. they sell what I call baby litter boxes-this will help. be sure to scoop twice a day.

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found some called yeeoowww catnip toys? A banana, fish and another one I can't remember could that be it? I'll look into those to, I have a rather large entertainment center that was made for an old tube TV I could hide a cat box in there I think or right next to it. I scoop first thing in the morning 6/7 and again usually around 6/7 at night. Especially since he's getting older and filling it up faster. I'm going to look on craigslist for a door I'll just have to measure the doors I'm going to replace it doesn't seem like people give those away much around here but I can put up an ad for them. I got him a sisal scratch post with a post and a curved scratcher attached also a cardboard scratcher I rubbed cat nip on them but he still prefers the bald spots on the carpet and the mesh on my Nike shoes. He doesn't go to town on them yet I've managed to catch him but I can't seem to find a mesh scratcher? Is this a common thing for cats to enjoy scratching? I will gladly find mesh to make one myself if it saves my shoes, the carpet is a lost cause but I wouldn't want him doing it at someone else's house. Or is he maybe not attracted to catnip or to young still? I thought all cats and kittens loved catnip but I've read that some don't.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeooww catnip toys are great
http://www.duckyworld.com/products/  Kittens may or may not show interest in catnip right away but will as they get older. Some adult cats don't have a response at all. Neither of my cats have interest in catnip.

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the website, he seems more interested in the turtles food than the catnip and he sits yelling at me when I touch the turtle food lol he begs for food whenever we eat but goes crazy for chicken and green beans. I've been thinking about an interactive feeder for him at night