Just rescued 2 babies about 5-8wks old, one doesn't seem to be doing well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel150

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I could be overfeeding her because she always eats whatever Luna leaves as well and i don't usually stop her. They are both really good about not eating until they puke. They eat until they are full and then leave. If I am in there with them, Nova will eat some, come to me to be pet, go back eat more, come back to me to be pet. 

She's pooping well, it's firm and sort of a grayish brown color. It was black, which the vet says was from the blood the worms were causing. 

Thanks again for your help!! We go back to the vet for shots and round 2 of wormer is on the 19th. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel150

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your wonderful help and encouragement!! Guess what! I have another question!!! I took Luna and Nova to the vet again today, for shots and because Nova's tummy is still pretty bloated. All was well, they got good health reviews, all good. We got home and around 10pm I was giving the kittens their dinner, which neither of them was to hungry, I attribute that to stress but that's not the point of this story - I noticed on Luna's right ear, on the back where it bends when they put their ears down, that there was a white patch under the fur. I took a close look at it and it's a weird scabby type thing. I called the emergency vet number - still haven't heard back. I couldn't wait any longer so I pulled the scab off. It was awful! I don't have the strongest stomach in the world, and Luna was very squirmy, I think it was hurting her but she didn't cry. The scab sort of peeled off, like paint or skin after a sunburn, and it is very thick and white. The hair all came with it too. It sort of looks like the first few layers of skin came off and now Luna's ear looks like it has just the muscle exposed. The side of the scab that attached to the skin is bubbly, and left the skin/muscle on her ear sort of bubbly. I'm worried it could be ringworm, although, I've had ringworm before, and that is a skin surface thing, isn't it? I've never seen ringworm take off layers of skin. The exposed area is almost the whole outside crease where the ear bends, I'd say about the size of my little finger nail. Any ideas?  The skin peeled off in big enough pieces that I collected them all and plan to take them to the vet tomorrow. 

Thank you all for your patience!! I worry about EVERYTHING! 

malama popoki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have neomycin ointment?  You're going to want to protect the wound.   I wouldn't mess with it anymore, picking a scab off can make a wound more vulnerable to infection.  You're going to want to get her back in to the vet.  An open wound can go from bad to worst in a hurry. 

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah Mel. you are such a lifesaver for these sweet babies :)

I know how worried you must be about Luna.

Until they build up some fat stores, they will feel quite cold.  May I suggest you place Luna in a soft, warm towel and wrap her snuggly while holding her to your chest.

Your body heat and heartbeat will warm both her heart and soul.  I would do this for long periods and often.  It would be especially nice if the towel/face cloth/ dish towel/shirt/ was heated first in the dryer, sun or microwave - not too hot of course.  I think she will like this.

No matter what happens please know that you saved these babies from a terrible death.  They are now loved, safe, and full!

Bless you.

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a huge ringworm outbreak in my rescue last summer (boy did that suck...)  I helped with the quarantine area and we had about....26? or so kittens and none appeared to have any scabs that could be pulled off.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately ringworm is very common where I am so we see at least one outbreak a year at the shelter I am at. When I first adopted my cat she was infected, and did have sores on her head and back of her ears that would scab off kind of like you are describing. It could be a lot of other things too but I would for sure have the vet culture it as it takes 10-14 days for the tests to come back. I would say take ringworm precautions until you know for sure but you have had them for awhile so if they do have it you are going to have to disinfect everything anyway so no need to worry until you know you have to (it's airborne so sticks to your clothes, shoes, ect). 

The only reason I would think it isn't ringworm is that by the time areas scab over they usually have been infected for some time and have multiple sores (and maybe why ClaraAdele didn't see any scabbing during her shelter outbreak- because they were awesomely on the ball and caught it and were treating everyone before it got to that point). My cat's sores didn't scab over until she had been infected for several months so if this is the only sore area you have seen then it could easily be something else- maybe even just her excessively scratching. 

If it is ringworm, let me know- I have tons of tips for getting rid of it. Not something I ever wanted to be proficient at, but when duty calls.......

Thank you for taking them in and giving them a chance at survival- I know they are having a lot of health problems and that is stressful and overwhelming but hopefully it will all pass as they grow bigger and stronger in the loving home you have given them. Hang in there!