Just need some advice or support, my cat has been having diarrhea and soft stools

lemonsqaure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m new around here and just need some support or advice as I feel like my heart is breaking.

I have a cat named Wednesday (she is my soulmate cat 🖤) who started having bouts of diarrhea very suddenly in late October of this year. She is 100% indoors and I don’t know her exact age but I think she is around 6 years old. She's never had any previous health issues before except: She’ll get a hotspot around her ear every springtime (something I’ve chalked up to allergies). And earlier this year she had two bouts of conjunctivitis, which went away with eye drops from the vet.

She very suddenly had diarrhea at the end of October. I rushed her to the vet and they gave her fluids, did bloodwork and x-rays, all of which came back normal. They sent her home with an antibiotic which helped a little but after a few days of being finished her diarrhea came back. The vet then gave her probiotics which helped her out for a couple weeks or so but the diarrhea came back again, which is where we’re at now, however this time around it hasn’t been as bad as the two previous times.

I’m in the process of ruling out the possibility of this being a food allergy, and have switched her diet from fancy feast seafood pate and solid gold kibble to a limited ingredient single source protein duck kibble and lamb wet food. I thought maybe since she has shown previous signs of having allergies (her hotspot and conjunctivitis) I’m hoping maybe just maybe those have also been signs of a food allergy and it just finally manifested itself as diarrhea. I have also been giving her a daily probiotic and a teaspoon of pumpkin puree.

It has been almost a week and a half on her new diet and thankfully she is only pooping once (sometimes twice) a day, however it still really soft, there will be a little bit of shape but it is like soft serve. She hasn’t lost any weight, her energy is the same, and her appetite is normal too, the only things I’ve noticed is that she seems to be drinking slightly more water.

I don’t want to get my hopes up as I thought things were improving the last two times, only to see her diarrhea suddenly come back. I honestly feel so scared and I know that an ultrasound/biopsy/endoscopy lies in our futures if it does not turn out to be a food allergy. Every time I go and check her litter box I go into a mild panic and I start sweating, worried about what I will find. When the diarrhea was really bad she was using her litter box very frequently and in between she would run around and appear as though she was really unsettled until she would use the litter box again. Whenever I see her now running around and seemingly overly-excited I start to worry that the diarrhea is coming. She is my best friend and companion and not knowing what is going on with her has me on edge and anxious that she will suddenly get worse at any minute, or that I will discover that it is actually cancer. She is still so young and I haven’t had much time with her yet. Basically, I feel sick with worry on a day to day basis.

Thank you for reading if you’ve made it this far, I know this was very long. Has anyone gone through something similar?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I understand your concern and worrying about your cat. We have all gone through health issues with our cats at one time or another so we understand and are here for support. Until other members come along who have gone through something similar i thought these threads might have some helpful information for you:
Cat having diarrhea, Fortiflora helped then made it worse!
Cat diarrhea

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your cat. :alright:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I am so sorry you are going through this! My cat had extended bouts of runny poo, I had an endoscopy and it tuned out to be small cell lymphoma. I am very pleased to say w/ chemo pills (which a cat is surprisingly tolerant of) and steroids it‘s now in remission and he is doing just fine! However, it could be something entirely else, so, totally not trying to scare you here. But knowledge is power.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemonsqaure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I wanted to give an update on Wednesday. To summarize my original post, about 3 months ago Wednesday very suddenly started having diarrhea that just never went away. After trying numerous things, metronidazole, pumpkin, probiotics, diet change, the only thing that seemed to help a little bit was fortiflora (it changed from frequent diarrhea to really soft stools).

During my last talk with her vet we decided to try hypoallergenic food (Hill’s Z/D) to see if that helps and if it didn’t then we would start to do more intensive testing. Well, as a last ditch effort before we started the Z/D (I really did not want to feed her that food), I decided to try and feed her 100% raw.

I decided to go with Stella and Chewy’s freeze dried Rabbit (I thought incase this is an allergy, it’s unlikely she is allergic to rabbit). I also gave her S. Boulardii for about 4-5 days. It took about 7 days to transition her to 100% raw but I’m happy to report that it’s been about 2 weeks with no soft stools or diarrhea!

I’m noticing a few other issues though. Wednesday likes the food, but she doesn’t love it. I think for her the biggest thing is variety, she gets bored of the same thing over and over again. I gave her Stella and Chewy’s turkey, which she did fine on but she liked it less than the rabbit. I looked into Ziwi Air Dried food and purchased some in the lamb flavor. She likes this enough and since there is now variety she gobbles up the Stella & Chewy’s. Here is where my issue lies: Since giving her the Ziwi food, she’s had no poop issues but I’ve noticed her back has been twitching like crazy. Before the diarrhea issues happened she would occasionally get a twitchy back but it would happen so rarely and last only a few seconds that I never really thought anything of it, honestly I though she was maybe just itchy and couldn’t scratch her itch. And when I say rarely I mean it would only happen a few times a year.

Right after the diarrhea started I had tried to switch her over to better quality single source protein kibble/wet food (which ended up not helping her poop issue). I gave her N&D digestion formula in lamb and Purevita dry food in duck. Both of these I discovered have fish oil in them or some sort of seafood ingredient. Her food before the diarrhea began was packed with fish. I noticed the twitchy back started happening almost every day when I switched her to the N&D and duck kibble, post diarrhea. While on the Stella and Chewy’s alone, there was no back twitching.

I know this could possibly hyperesthesia and I need to talk to her vet about it, but I’ve read that food allergies can possibly contribute to hyperesthesia. Could it be that she is allergic to seafood? The Ziwi food has Mussels in it, could it be that or possibly the lamb (the thing is she’s never had lamb before last month so I’m not sure?). She loves variety in food so much I don’t know what else to give her. I can currently only do commercial raw food, I’m not able right now feed her actual raw food. I don’t want to go back to feeding her non-raw but if there is a dry food that has no seafood in it that has no questionable ingredients I would be willing to try it so she can get some variety. Does anyone know of a dry food or some kind of alternative that doesn’t include seafood? I want to try the Ziwi air dried in Chicken (which also has Mussels in it) incase it is actually the lamb causing her troubles.

To Recap:
  • S. Boulardii for 4-5 days and transitioned to 100% Stella & Chewy’s Rabbit freeze dried morsels has helped her diarrhea issue tremendously.
  • She wasn’t into eating the same food over and over so I introduced Ziwi Air dried food in Lamb. She likes the Stella & Chewy’s more now that there is variety but I’ve noticed her back has started to twitch/spasm since feeding the Ziwi, which was happening with her old food (both the Ziwi and her old food had Lamb and some kind of seafood).
  • I don’t want to go back to only Stella’s, she gets bored of eating the same thing very quickly and starts eating less and less. What else can I give her as variety that doesn’t have seafood in it? Not sure if I should try the Ziwi chicken flavor, maybe it’s the lamb?
  • I don’t know if this is relevant but when her diarrhea was at it’s worst, she would use the litter box several times a day often many times in a row, she would jump out of the box, run around like she had the zoomies almost with a wild look in her eye, and then jump back in the litter box and go again. I don’t know if at this time too her back was twitchy but with her twitchy back now, she will run around the house as well.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo is allergic to any kind of seafood. It sounds like your kitty may be also. I feed him strictly chicken, turkey, and beef in Fancy Feast, Sheba, and FF Petites. He doesn't get loose bowels, though, he throws it up, sometimes instantly. So no specialty foods are necessary for him. Mingo is also on a dry kidney prescription food I buy at the vet, and we went through two other kinds until we found one with no fish. Before that I bought Iams and Purina dry in the chicken flavor, and there was no fish in them. The ingredients are listed on the label. Like your cat, he gets tried of this or that after a while, and I change brands then. Different brands must taste different.

Celinaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am so sorry you are going through this! My cat had extended bouts of runny poo, I had an endoscopy and it tuned out to be small cell lymphoma. I am very pleased to say w/ chemo pills (which a cat is surprisingly tolerant of) and steroids it‘s now in remission and he is doing just fine! However, it could be something entirely else, so, totally not trying to scare you here. But knowledge is power.
I'm so glad your cat is fine <33 but can I ask did he have a cbc (blood test) and was the lymphoma found on the blood test ?? Or was it found to be small cell lymphoma after removal ? Thank you ♡♡♡