Just Moved

tracyi838

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My official move in day is this Saturday but I decided to move the cats in this evening. They are pretty skittish cats to begin with so the car ride was very traumatic for both of them (I have two). One even peed in her carrier. We are now here in our new place and I have them confined to one room, the bedroom, with their food, water and litter. They are both hiding in the closet and they won't come out. It's been about three hours now. I oftnr go in to sit with them and they crawl all over me and want to be petted but they won't come out. Any advice on how much time it may take for them to get the courage to come out? 

runningwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just give them time. I've gone through 4 moves in 12 years with my little one, not counting bringer her home from the shelter. She'd hide for a few days, and be a bit aloof for a few weeks.... Staking out her new domain.

Once things get semi back to normal and they are a bit less stressed out from their whole world changing they will come seek you and your family out for pettings and companionship.

I get to see this from a few angles. Like I said I have moved a few times. Also I work and volunteer at a shelter. Same thing happens when a cat comes in (via dog warden or owner surrender). They are super stressed and might act out. Also bringing them to events like PetSmart they will be a bit more skittish than normal.

Some cats don't go crazy for catnip but if your's do give them some and just hang out in the room. Let them explore in little baby steps. Before you know it they will once again be under foot in the kitchen :) Important thing is to let them decide when the time is right. Forcing them out will just stress them out more.

Maybe while you are around or sleeping in the new place get them out of the closet (shut the bedroom door), make it so they would need to open the closet door to go in. This way they know you are there and might go on or under the bed instead of back into the closet. Baby steps is the way to keep them less stressed.