Just Moved

slovaksalony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I've just introduced my two cats to a new home and had a question; my cats have been together for about a year a half and while they have never been great friends they have accepted one another and get along reasonably well. After moving to the new house we put them in a closed off bedroom together and will let them stay there until they get comfortable.

However, my 5 year old female is becoming very aggressive toward the 2 year old male. She is hissing, growling, and has aggressive body language. Should I just put him in a separate room so she isn't so upset or would it make more sense to keep him in there until she got over her temper tantrum?

Thanks!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a shot in the dark, but it's possible there were cats in the house/apartment before you moved in, and she is smelling one of them and redirecting her aggression toward her housemate.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could try separating them, then do a slow introduction as if they were just meeting for the first time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slovaksalony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
here were no cats to my knowledge but there were 2 large dogs here previously...we shampooed the rugs in all the rooms but I'm guessing she is picking up the scent that is left everywhere else and misdirecting her anger.

Thanks for the tips.