Just moved to Texas two weeks ago and cat showing signs of megacolon

gamera2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just moved to Texas and have spent 2 of the last 3 nights in the vet ER getting my cat enemas for severe constipation. They've got him all cleaned out now and put him on prescription food, but 1) If he doesn't poop in the next 14 hours, they want to see him back and 2) I've read that the high fiber prescription food can make stool hard and constipation worse. I really need to find a good primary care vet to help me get a treatment plan in place. I'm in the Flower Mound area for now and could really use some good recommendations. Thank you in advance!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to high fiber foods making the stools harder and compounding constipation, I don't know why that would occur. High fiber usually helps the stool pass through better.

What helps immensely with cats and constipation is getting them to increase their water intake, so feeding wet food with water added to it is helpful, and many of us give our cats things like Miralax, Phyllium husk, metamucil, that type of thing to help. Personally, I give one of my cats Miralax twice a day, every day because he is prone to constipation even though he only eats wet food. Exercise helps too...gets everything moving.