Just Moved House And One Of My Cats Keeps Hissing In The Air

Kathb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I've moved house three weeks ago and today I brought my two cats from my husbands house. One of them Romsey keeps hissing in mid air! Any idea or advice?
We've had them about six and seven years, they were both rescue cats and get on well together. Robbie is the younger we think and he seems not as agitated as Romsey.
Now they are both sleeping, Romsey's on a window ledge and Robbie is under a desk in the spare bedroom

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I wonder if another animal lived at the house and Romsey is smelling his scent.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a brand new place for your cats, which is bound to make them at least a little bit nervous. So I would take his hisses as general anxiety. It is a good sign he decided to nap but it may take a few days before he is more comfortable with the new place. I would just ignore the hissing.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is going to take some time for the cats to adjust to their new home. Romsey may be smelling scents left in the house from previous pets that lived there. It make take some time for Romsey to realize the scent is not a hidden new pet. It also possible that Romsey is smelling a new scent that was not present the last home and is just unsure what it means. I would try talking to Romsey in a soothing voice to provide comfort. You could also try using play to see if the hissing stops when the cat's attention is re-directed to something else. I do not think the hissing is anything to worry about at this point as long as there is no aggression being directed at humans or at Robbie. It is a good sign that Romsey is already taking a nap.