Just Moved, Cat's Already Spraying... :-(

merylcee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys! I guess I just needed somewhere to vent and if anyone has any tips while I do so, that would be great lol.

My oldest cat (male) has a history of peeing in places he shouldn't - entryway, on top of stove, sinks, the list goes on. This behavior was resolved for quite some time, I believe almost three years now, by changing the litter! It was a miracle.

Fast forward to now - we just moved into a new home, been there two days and he has peed on the carpet. :-( I knew that it would be tough for him to move and that it would take time for him to adjust. I've been doing everything I can to help him. Letting him eat in the room he became comfortable with, his litter boxes are clean and in an appropriate spot, spending extra time with him.

I'm really upset! I don't know how to stop him from doing this as I've never been in this situation before (moving with a cat). The problem was resolved last time by changing litter - but now what?! It doesn't help that my husband makes it only my problem since I'm the "cat person" of the house. Oh and I forgot to mention - I am 7 months pregnant. Not an ideal time to have this problem.

Anyone been in this or a similar situation? Any tips are welcome!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Can you send your husband out to pick up calming products at the pet store? Several brands styles ingredients would be good then you can try and see what works.
There are treats, diffusers etc.
Oh and keep some on hand, your furbaby may become stressed when the other baby arrives :) congrats, by the way!
Also have your hubs pick up an enzymatic cleaner, like nature's miracle.
By the way, has your cat been in to the vet, just to be on the safe side?
Do you have a yard to build a catio, or in the meantime, purchase a cat mesh tent so your cat can get a little outside time?
In the meanwhile, maybe contain your furbaby to one room. Let him become acclimated to all the smells, sounds etc of the new place, and using the box consistently.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had this issue, but I read that in a new place, nothing smells like your cat. He needs to feel like he owns the place, and so he is marking his territory. Even though his regular litter box is there, his spot may now be the carpet.

If there is a place (or more than a place) he is peeing, I read that the way to address this is
1. Thoroughly clean the spot with an enzymatic cleaner
2. Put the litter box in this spot (or spots) - even if it is super inconvenient
3. Every day, move the litterbox(es) a foot or two toward the desired location.
4. Keep doing this. If he goes outside the box again, go back to the beginning and move it slower.

Again, I have not tried this, but I have heard it from websites as well as Jackson Galaxy's book.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if this will help or not, but my boy cat pees all over the house when he has too much dry food. I have to keep it under half a cup. Can you increase your cat's canned food and decrease the dry food? Good luck, I know it's hard!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise