Just Me And My Foster Home

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I'm Steph from Ontario Canada and I love cats! I mean, obviously right? :D

I previously had two of my own.
I had a big white and tabby cat who lived to be 15.5 years old whom I just had to put down last month due to kidney failure and cancer. I also had a little grey shorthair kitten that I adopted who was born with an internal birth defect that we knew nothing of until it ended his short life about 7 months ago at only a year old. I miss both my babies.

Currently I am a foster home for a local cat rescue group. I've been fostering for about 6 months. It's the same shelter that I adopted my little grey kitten from and after his passing I wanted to honour his life by helping other unwanted/stray cats and kittens.
To date we have welcomed over 20 cats through our front doors. Some have been ill, some recovering from spays/neuters, and some just waiting for their forever homes.

Right now we have two older gentlemen cats. Around 8 or 9 years old. They came to us VERY skittish and afraid of all human contact. They now rule our house and aren't afraid of anything, not even our dogs. Earning their trust has taken a lot of time and patience but has been well worth it as these two have the BEST personalities! They have been here since November 2017. Older cats are much harder to adopt out than kittens.
I also picked up a 3 year old pregnant gal who is due any day!
I enjoy my foster cats and the joy they bring me and it's honestly the best feeling in the world when they get adopted to loving homes!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Condolences on the recent losses of your 2 precious cats. RIP sweet kitties. :angel:
What a wonderful way to honour your kitten's short life, by helping other cats. :petcat:

How exciting to have the pregnant foster. I see you've already started a thread (Pregnant Sadie - Foster Cat) in our Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum. I hope you're prepared to post lots of kitten pictures. :)

Speaking of pictures, feel free to post pics of your fosters in this thread too. We love pictures. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
F15AB783-6959-493C-BCAA-2EB6CAFC9F6E.jpeg
Hi there Steph and kitties, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
60567180-BEFA-4C26-80E9-A2E46FDBDF3C.gif

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

We are so sorry to hear about your loss but we are glad that you are into cat stuff and doing fostering. Bless your heart.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your cats, but THANK YOU for honoring the love they gave by fostering! Such a special thing to do, and be very, very, VERY welcome here!

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You couldn't possibly do you cat a better tribute than fostering. Kudos!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi SAkitty, and welcome! I'm so interested to hear about your foster experiences. I'd love to do it, but my husband is allergic, so we're a one cat family. I always wonder how you let them go after you get to know them, but I guess you know they're going to a good home, and that helps....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi SAkitty, and welcome! I'm so interested to hear about your foster experiences. I'd love to do it, but my husband is allergic, so we're a one cat family. I always wonder how you let them go after you get to know them, but I guess you know they're going to a good home, and that helps....
Hi! It does help when I know they are going to a great home. Some of the cats/kittens that have been in our care have stayed for very short periods of time (some even just overnight) and I view them more as guests in our home. These short stay felines we don't really get to know. We see a little personality once they settle in and if they stay for a few days we get to visit longer and have our laughs and chit chats and then they are on to their new homes.

The ones that stay for longer are a bit more difficult to "let go", but that is the ultimate outcome - to be able to let go to make room for another homeless cat or kitten. Without letting go we wouldn't be able to help as many as we have.

Letting them go comes with sadness but also a sense of pride and accomplishment that we helped in some way. Wether it be nursing sick kittens back to health, giving a warm bed and a full meal to a stray, or simply hugs and cuddles, its a very rewarding experience. :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your perspective and satisfying my curiosity! :purr: