Just mated 8 days ago...

desertjewel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mum2many

But normally my siamese lady is in heat for almost 2 weeks, howling around the house. She's over 2 yrs old now, and mated for first time on Feb 2&3. Since she's no longer with the stud (another siamese of mine), she hasnt been in heat & has been following me around the house and normally she's very aloof. I know it's too soon to tell, but I'm trying to figure out her change in behaviour. Stud is not spraying right now either.
This is first time (and likely last) that I've tried to breed.
Her behaviour is odd, even my husband has noticed it. She wants to make sure I'm in her sight or beside her at all times, but she doesnt want to be pet.
Any insight?
I've had experience with pregnant mothers before, and my sister's cat didn't look pregnant until she was 5-6 weeks along. There were many times when I'd doubt if she was pregnant at all. Also, I'm not sure, but I think my cat, Duchess (whom I've already spayed) was pregnant when she was spayed. We spayed her because we gave her 3 weeks to show any signs of pregnancy, and she didn't. But, now that I think about it, I think she was pregnant. After the spaying, she now has a really hard, tight, tummy-tucked belly and cries whenever I pick her up. She goes into 'heat cycles' and follows me around, marking her scent, and howling. I've had many spayed cats before, and she was the first one who acted like this. So, I would at least wait two months before breeding her again.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have YET to really meet a "mean" Siamese - met some grouchy ones, but never a really mean one.
Siamese (and OSH) are not mean at all as a breed - they are however very opinionated, which means that if they do not like something they will let you know in no uncertain terms, but they are not mean, they are just really vocal alongside being loving and attached and a bit sensitive bless them.

Being a really vocal breed, they will growl more readily than a quiet cat - many people IMO misunderstand this as being mean or grouchy, but it's just that they are very expressive - they will readily vocalise many opinions, good or bad. While many cats will keep silent while experiencing pleasure or displeasure, a Siam/osh TELLS you what s/he thinks. That's not mean or grouchy, it's just the vocal nature of the breed.

For example - Sonic (my little beloved cat who adores me above all else and lives glued to my side) curls up to sleep on my shoulder when I am in bed - when I inevitably shift position, he voices his displeasure at having his sleepy cuddles and warmth disrupted by making grumbling growling noises - because it is his nature as an OSH to vocalise when his sleep is disturbed, where other cats would silently shift position.

Siamese and OSH just come right out and say what other cats are silently thinking
In a well raised cat, that's all it is though, just a vocalised emotion
But I think part of the reason why Siamese/OSH have a reputation as mean, is because people don't appreciate that the vocal part of their nature also means expression through growling, as well as their superb purrs and yowls. You can't expect them to only be extremely vocal about happy things and stay quiet when they're displeased