Just making sure I've got everything covered

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Enjoy your campfire! That's the beauty of electronic communication - it's there when it's convenient. :)

ETA: Willowy posted while I was blathering on, and summed it up rather nicely. :lol3: But for a more lengthy version, read on... ;)

... I’m sure from being in the shelter he would have had enough kibble by then to have gotten used to it so maybe I’ll just switch right over to canned as soon as I can. Right?

:nod: I see no reason not to go straight to raw, :lol3:, but yeah, IMO no reason to just skip the kibble and go for the canned. We rescued for a long time, and still work with and TNR the ferals that turn up here. Trust me, starving cats recognize kibble as food. :nod:

I understand what you're asking about the supplements now.

Most people don't supplement much of anything for cats. Maybe digestive enzymes or probiotics. Those are most typical. There are supplements sold with anti-oxidants. I'd peruse the Mercola site for something if you feel better taking that type of precaution (though none of my cats liked their digestive enzymes, and others have had issues getting their cats to eat the Mercola probiotics. But they do have quality stuff: krill oil, ubiquinol and others). http://healthypets.mercola.com/ Let's face it - our pets are exposed to the same toxins we are, so they can probably benefit from some anti-oxidants. That's the reason Dr. Becker recommends some fruit/veggie mix in her raw diet recipes for cats. But most raw feeders do try to source more naturally, I think, and most try to avoid fruits & veggies, because they're not natural for cat systems to be digesting them.

For instance, flax is a popular omega 3 supplement. But cats lack the digestive enzymes necessary to convert the ALA in the flax seed into the usable EPA and DHA. Cats need EPA and DHA pre-formed - and that's salmon or krill oil. Krill oil seems to be more biovavailable for our pets needing an omega supplement for joint health (like my Flowerbelle). But krill oil, unlike salmon oil, has no vitamin D in it. So it really depends on what you're using the supplement for. If you're counting on vitamin D from the fish oil supplement, you need to use sardines or salmon oil, not krill oil. I provide krill oil only to my kitty that needs it for her joints, and give her sardines twice a week for the D.

Sorry, I keep blathering. :rolleyes: Typically, supplements supplied to cats (outside of digestive enzymes or probiotics) are for omega 3s which are lacking in the diet. Also, including egg yolks and sardines to account for the parts of animals we're not feeding them when providing prey model raw - which is just a model, not the whole animal. But even commercial diets, if they don't contain eggs or egg yolks, are best supplemented with an omega 3 and egg yolks. Choline is just so good for cats - many benefits, among them helping to prevent dementia when they're older. :nod:

I have an FIV kitty and a cancer survivor, and I'm anal. So I've probably done more work on supplements than most. I do think the cats (mine are all older - they range in age from 6 or 7 years old to 11 years old), and while I think they might benefit from vitamin C, I haven't yet included it in any rotation. I do like to "pulse" the "additional" things like lactoferrin, rather than just using them all the time, which is how I use the ubiquinol and how I'd use the vitamin C. If you want to use some kind of spirulina thingy, it probably won't hurt. I see they do have something on the Mercola site. :nod:

But basically with cats... think "animal." Because that's what they're bodies are designed to use - animal parts. If it comes from veggies or fruits, it's not a natural component of their diet. That doesn't by definition make it "bad." You just have to do your research and decide to what extent you want to supplement with stuff outside of what their bodies would naturally use. It is, though, important not to think of cats as small dogs, because the way they function and metabolize food is very, very different. They NEED more fat than dogs, they cannot convert beta carotene into vitamin A, they can't convert certain fats into the usable forms; they need many things pre-formed, lacking the digestive enzymes necessary to convert them into stuff their bodies can use.

A good overview is this paper: http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...7588&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0954422402000070 (The full study is available free)

And here's another one - shorter read, and kind of highlights the differences between cats and dogs, though the focus is on PUFAs: http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/The_Essential_PUFA_Guide.shtml

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

britt0325

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I never knew how complicated a cat’s system is. Thanks LDG for those links, they’re extremely helpful in making me understand how exactly cats process everything and what is really beneficial vs. detrimental to a cats health. I’m obviously going to have to stay away from supplements like Nupro for my kitten because NOTHING in it would be good for my kitten unlike with my dog. So happy I actually decided to come on here and ask about this instead of just going with my experience with my dog. I would have been making a huge mistake.

So basically, the most important thing for me to keep in mind with cats is that anything of importance would be something sourced from animals and that’s just what I should stick with. So no bee pollen, spirulina, esc.

NO cat supplements, stick with human supplements for probiotics (yogurt and kefir, even coconut, probably wouldn’t be all that beneficial for a cat) and for fish oil. I’m fine with that since I usually prefer human supplements over animal supplements because I feel they’re safer and possibly more regulated, even if supplements really aren’t all  that regulated to begin with. I’ll stick with companies I’ve looked into and that I’m comfortable with the quality of.

Whole eggs are fine, never give whites alone unless for specific health reasons, and try to give yolks a couple times a week.  I shouldn’t have to worry about the egg lecithin for hairballs with my kitten since he’ll be raw fed from the beginning but I’ll keep it in mind just in case hairballs are ever a problem.

Basic necessities that I’ll need are:

-Salmon or Krill oil

-a sardine once a week (frozen rather than canned, less salt?)

-probiotics

-Ubiquinol (“pulse” it)

-egg yolks a couple times a week (whole egg isn’t a problem but I guess since the yolk is the most nutritious part that’s all I really need)

Happy to see I cut down my list a lot, makes things easier lol.

If I decided to do homemade, probably will be doing some real raw a couple times a week at least, I can just add Alnutrin or Wysong’s COTW to it to make it complete.

I figure for treats it would be the healthiest option to stick with one source protein products like Merrick’s lamb lung treats or something similar to that.  Plus, I'll probably be giving something, like gizzards, to help with teeth cleaning every day and that could be considered a treat I suppose. 

Feeling a lot more confident as far as nutrition is concerned. Thanks everyone for all the help! 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds great! Yes, there are healthy snacks like one ingredient freeze-dried meats and organs. Whole Life, Pure Bites and Etta Says are some brands.

As for sardines, if you can find raw or frozen raw, great. Otherwise, you should be able to also find canned in water only with no salt as well. Not all cats like sardines, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart has little pouches of no-salt-added sardines for something like 88 cents a pack. Might be 4 sardine fillets in there (hard to tell because pouches tend to get squished, LOL)? I think it's 3.5 oz. Anyway, that's what I use.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just one little VERY IMPORTANT reminder on your list. 

If you use Alnutrin, you still have to add liver.  (And remember, there is Alnutrin for use WITH bones, and Alnutrin for use without bones, so you've got to make sure you get the correct one) 

If you use Call of the Wild, you don't have to add anything to the meat.

The good news is, with all of the above (including ALL of the Alnutrins) you should be able to get samples ahead of time to see what your new furball will like.