Just Lost My Sweet Girl Last Night.

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I just came across this site while trying to find some comfort in my extremely difficult and sad loss. Last night I came home to find that my 8 month old cat, Lyra, got into a bag of empty cat food and got trapped and suffocated. I can’t stop blaming myself for her death. If I would have just taken 30 seconds to throw that bag away she would be laying next to me right now. Today I brought her to a place to be cremated and as I was saying my final goodbyes I just couldn’t stop apologizing to her and telling her how much I loved her. She has a brother and they are from the same litter. I am incredibly worried about him and how he is going to take not having her here anymore. Right now I guess I just need some words of encouragement. She was too young.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful little girl. I didn't even know that could happen. Thank you for the warning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your words. I didn’t even think it was a possibility. My cats have been in bags and boxes before and it never seemed like an issue. I guess it was a combination of the bag being too thick to claw her way out and the fact she was just wrapped in it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so deeply sorry to hear this. What a horrible freak accident. :alright: Everyone knows that plastic bags are dangerous but cat food normally comes in heavy paper bags and the awareness just isn't there. If there is any sense to be made from this painful event it is that by posting about it, you may have saved other cats from the same thing. Of course, that is small comfort, I know. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Please try to stop feeling guilty about this. You had no way of knowing such a thing could happen - if you did, you would have thrown the bag out before you left. You know that you would have. You would never leave such a trap for Lyra on purpose, so please, please be gentle with yourself. It's a terrible shock to have something like this happen and I hope that with time, you will come to see that you have done the best that you could with your precious girl. You gave her a good home where she was loved and treasured. While she was with you, she lived the best life a cat could, remember that you are the one who made this possible.

One of the things that's helped me when a cat leaves me is to write about them. Write everything down you can think of, include pictures if you have them and keep all this together. You might find that in going over them later, it brings back the feeling of having Lyra with you - it's a way of not letting time dim your memory of who she was. Some people make a display of mementos - being able to look over and see photographs and a favorite toy,even her ashes if you have them, can have a calming effect. She is not forgotten.

The grief will gradually pass and someday you'll be able to remember Lyra with fondness and love, instead of with such deep pain. You'll be able to enjoy the happy memories that you had together. The pain and loss never go away but they do very gradually become bearable. Remember, everyone grieves on their own schedule so let yourself grieve as long as you need to do so.

You asked about her brother and you are right to wonder how he will react. Watch him carefully to see any new behavior patterns that might indicate he is having a difficult time. Give him extra attention and lots of snuggles and play time but try to do so with a feeling of enjoyment. Cats are very sensitive to our emotions and he may take his cue from you. If you can play together and enjoy each others' company, it will be a great comfort for both of you.

Again, I am so very sorry to hear that sweet Lyra has left you. :frown: Remember that you can always post here if you need to talk with people who understand. And, post more photos of your beautiful girl, as many as you'd like. I know that I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing more of her.

RIP Darling Lyra. :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

God-s-Beautiful-Rainbow-god-the-creator-11283833-495-500.jpg

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I am so deeply sorry to hear this. What a horrible freak accident. :alright: Everyone knows that plastic bags are dangerous but cat food normally comes in heavy paper bags and the awareness just isn't there. If there is any sense to be made from this painful event it is that by posting about it, you may have saved other cats from the same thing. Of course, that is small comfort, I know. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Please try to stop feeling guilty about this. You had no way of knowing such a thing could happen - if you did, you would have thrown the bag out before you left. You know that you would have. You would never leave such a trap for Lyra on purpose, so please, please be gentle with yourself. It's a terrible shock to have something like this happen and I hope that with time, you will come to see that you have done the best that you could with your precious girl. You gave her a good home where she was loved and treasured. While she was with you, she lived the best life a cat could, remember that you are the one who made this possible.

One of the things that's helped me when a cat leaves me is to write about them. Write everything down you can think of, include pictures if you have them and keep all this together. You might find that in going over them later, it brings back the feeling of having Lyra with you - it's a way of not letting time dim your memory of who she was. Some people make a display of mementos - being able to look over and see photographs and a favorite toy,even her ashes if you have them, can have a calming effect. She is not forgotten.

The grief will gradually pass and someday you'll be able to remember Lyra with fondness and love, instead of with such deep pain. You'll be able to enjoy the happy memories that you had together. The pain and loss never go away but they do very gradually become bearable. Remember, everyone grieves on their own schedule so let yourself grieve as long as you need to do so.

You asked about her brother and you are right to wonder how he will react. Watch him carefully to see any new behavior patterns that might indicate he is having a difficult time. Give him extra attention and lots of snuggles and play time but try to do so with a feeling of enjoyment. Cats are very sensitive to our emotions and he may take his cue from you. If you can play together and enjoy each others' company, it will be a great comfort for both of you.

Again, I am so very sorry to hear that sweet Lyra has left you. :frown: Remember that you can always post here if you need to talk with people who understand. And, post more photos of your beautiful girl, as many as you'd like. I know that I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing more of her.

RIP Darling Lyra. :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Thank you so much for this. I needed this a lot. I hope that having her ashes along with a lock of her hair and a silicone paw print will bring me at least a little bit of relief, but I won’t have that for another 3 days at least. Again thank you. I hope I will get to experience her beautiful soul again soon.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for this. I needed this a lot. I hope that having her ashes along with a lock of her hair and a silicone paw print will bring me at least a little bit of relief, but I won’t have that for another 3 days at least. Again thank you. I hope I will get to experience her beautiful soul again soon.
I'm so glad it was some comfort. If you are anything like me, you'll feel a tremendous relief when you have her ashes. She's back with you, where she belongs. :greenpaw::bluepaw:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is horrible, I am so sorry that this happened, what a tragic accident but you had no way of knowing this would happen, you didn't do it on purpose but right now your heartache is unbearable I'm sure. If you could go back in time and do it differently you would, but we can't, and for some reason sometimes bad things like this happen and we may never know why. But with time you will come to terms with this, but right now is so so hard, we all feel for you and are here for you. Maybe God needed a young Angel cat for someone who just passed to play with, maybe a young child.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I miss my girl dearly. She was my first cat (I got the boy a few days later) and she taught me so much I never even knew about cats. I didn’t think I would be a cat person but I took a chance and got her and while I am grateful she showed me the love felines are capable of giving, I am sad that for now I no longer get to feel the warmth and pure innocence of her. A lot of people already don’t understand where I am coming from with this grieving and it is so nice to know that there are people out there who have gotten the chance to experience the bliss of having a connection with a cat.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible, tragic accident. I can't tell you how sorry I am you've had to go through this. If this happened to me I'd be crushed. As our wonderful Margd said, though, just by posting about it you're raising awareness and possibly keeping it from happening to other cats.

I feed a lot of ferals and earlier tonight I finished off a bag of dry food and brought it upstairs to throw away. For whatever reason I failed to put it in the trash and left it on my kitchen counter. Let me tell you, after reading your story I immediately got up and cut that bag into shreds and threw it in the trash. Who knows, you may have even saved my two cats.

Thank you posting this, and I hope you continue to heal. Lyra was lucky to have you for those eight months

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't let guilt and grief overwhelm your heart. It was an accident, you would NEVER do anything purposely to harm one of your beloved babies. You have to have intention to be guilty. Bad things happen sometimes to good people, I will never understand why, but it does. The images you have burned into your brain will be there forever, I know, because I have been there. I want you to know it DOES get better, time is the only thing that helps and right now you have to take one day at a time. Eventually you will come to realize that no amount of punishing yourself or trying to change the past will change anything, you have to concentrate on the present and begin to put your life back together.
The emptiness in these first few weeks is overwhelming. Every thought will turn to her and all the what ifs and should haves will take over your life. Don't let them, it brings nothing but heartache. Concentrate instead on your precious memories of happier times, on that boy that is mourning too and needs you. Above all remember that sweet, sweet little girl would NEVER want you to be so sad because of her. She loves you too much for that, love is unselfish and wants only happiness and sunshine for the one you love. Plan out your life as you would want her to do, if you were the first to go. You wouldn't want her to spend the rest of her life in misery and sadness, she wants no less for you.
Do good in her memory, it helps to put a little good back in your life and makes you feel a little better about yourself. Several times a year I pay for an adoption of a cat at the local shelter, they put a little sign on the door, saying the adoption was paid for in memory of my Chrissy, to please give them a forever home. It helps to know that I might bring a little happiness into a life when my own was so shattered.
The bond you have with her will never be taken from you, use it to bring comfort when the tears fall, and to feel her presence as her new path now parallels yours for the rest of your journey until it crosses once more.
You have already started your journey into the future of healing, you have warned others of a potential danger in something that appears harmless, you have perhaps already saved another little life, all in your Lyra's name. Take care, and keep in touch, it does help to receive the comfort of those who have stood in your shoes.,,,,,,,,RIP precious Lyra, you will never be forgotten and will always hold a special place in a loving heart. May God bless and keep you until you both meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Lyra, dream you deep. You walk in your mama's heart forever.

I am so sorry that such a freak accident took your girl from you. I also know that you would NEVER have deliberately done anything to endanger her. You loved her and cared for her, and she knew that every moment of her life. You know, love never dies, it only changes form. She is with you still.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What an awful tragedy! I am so sorry that happened. I know you are hurting. Please forgive yourself.

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your words. To top it off I just checked my voicemail and I missed a call yesterday saying her ashes were ready to be picked up. I wasn’t expecting it to be ready so soon. I feel terrible.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having her ashes back will help. Once I got Tigers ashes I felt like he was home again. I still feel his loss but it helped feeling that he was near. My heart goes out to you and I hope your heart can start to heal. She will always be with you.

briannabonnell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her ashes today and sadly had to return to work. It has been rough. Any ideas on how to display her urn and all the other sentimental things with her? I was thinking about getting a glass cabinet or hutch thing with doors and just putting everything in there nicely. My boyfriend sent me white roses since he unfortunately can’t be here with me, and I noticed that there were 6 of them. I took that as one for each month I was blessed with having her. Anyone ever try to dry out roses to preserve them?? I would like to put those on display as well. Thanks

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Tigers urn on a shelf next to my bed. The urn has a place for his photo so I can see his sweet face when I go to bed and when I get up in the morning. I put a bag of his favorite treats in with him. You can try pressing the rosebuds between two pieces of wax paper and setting a heavy book or object on them until they dry out. Once dry they will be very brittle so you will want to seal them somehow.