just heard of "rescue remedy for pets"

sillymilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
could I use this to calm my cat down long enough to cut her nails. She got me again last night with her back claws but didn't draw blood this time, just made a serious opening. I am at my wit's end with not being to cut her claws. I tried again last night and it isn't working. Funny, the first week I had her from a rescue she let me do it. I think at that time she was too scared I was going to take her back. She had been returned twice now. I am thinking because of her strange routines. I am ok with them. Its just the clawing that is making me miserable and then I can't play or let her climb up my shoulder if she wants to. It is hurting our relationship big time. So, if the rescue remedy would help and it didn't hurt her I would try anything to calm her down enough to clip her.
She is not using her scratching post just the corner of my loveseat which is ok, it is old anyhow.
Rescue Remedy anyone?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen this video?

Cutting Punkin's claws

Now, he does NOT like this, but he's learned that it's useless to struggle in this position.

I was just up at the shelter and I cut about 2/3 of the cats' claws, just to improve their chances of getting adopted. Several had to be done this same way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillymilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think she would stand for that.......she would squirm her way out of there.

Are we suppose to do their back claws too, they are the ones that scratched me.

Dumb question I know but I have never owned a cat with claws before. The ones I adopted were always declawed.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley hates to have his paws messed with, but I usually catch him when he's sleeping. I make sure its a sound sleep, not just a little catnap. Then I can usually get one paw done before he gets mad. Sometimes it takes a few days to get them all this way, but whatever works!

Be sure to offer treats before and after. Even clip one or two, then offer treats and leave her alone until later, then do a couple more. Hopefully she will associate clipping with treats and become easier about it.

I'm sure some others will be along with some good advice soon. Its not always easy, but it can be done so don't get discouraged! You can look into soft paws too if she is scratching you regularly. The claws do need to be clipped before they are applied but then they would prevent you getting hurt.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen rescue remedy calm cats down greatly, other cats it does nothing.

I would add it to her water for several days, then apply either directly in the mouth or massage into outer ears before attempting to clip. You may also want to have some yourself to help stay calm while handling her.
Probably start slow, 1-2 claws each session.

I do clip all 4 paws, but my cats are easy to handle and used to being clipped.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Riley hates to have his paws messed with, but I usually catch him when he's sleeping. I make sure its a sound sleep, not just a little catnap. Then I can usually get one paw done before he gets mad. Sometimes it takes a few days to get them all this way, but whatever works!
This is the method I sometimes employ with one of my cats, although as you say, it's sometimes a two- or even three-day job.

I also agree that treats help. It takes a while, but eventually they figure out that a reward follows the ordeal!