Just had a scare!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was sitting here at my desk, when Flambe came up and was sniffing my pantleg. We've been out all day, so I figured he'd just found something interesting.

He went across the room and jumped up on my guitar amplifier. It looked like he had some fur or something caught in his mouth, and he was trying to get it out...but we know how well that works with cats. They're just not designed for moving anything that direction.

I walked over, and I saw he had a string hanging out of his mouth. I looked a little closer, and it was thread...with a needle on the end of it! I grabbed his head, forced his mouth open, and pulled the needle, which was just disappearing, out of his mouth, along with about 8 inches of thread!!!!

Whew!!!

Dottie thinks he stole it off the bathroom counter. Gonna have to be more careful!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How lucky you were there to help him. It's amazing how they find any little thing. The other evening I noticed my girl sort of trying to nibble something on the floor - it was one of those plastic clothing tags. I must have clipped it off something and only thought I safely tossed it in the garbage. Luckily I caught her, but no one parents of toddlers and pets gain grey hairs pretty quickly.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great save!
That could have been a tragedy!

My Chester is like a magnet when it comes to stings, ribbons and wires. I've only had one real scare with thread. But it was enough to make me super careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you consider that we were gone for a whole week last week, I'm just so glad he didn't get into it then!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good thing you were there.

I have to watch Everest, because he tries to chew and swallow things he shouldn't- like plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the first time any of our cats have done anything like this.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully you were right on the spot when this happened.
Awhile back I stumbled on a warning written out of grief on Craigslist -Someone shared their story of how their kitty died by getting hold of a coin and ingesting it.
Since then I make sure there are no coins lying around.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you were there and astute enough to catch on to the fact that something wasn't right. That could've ended in a trajedy for sure!

I agree with whoever it was that said that it's no wonder parents and pet owners come up with grey hair! While I don't have human children (yet -- hopefully I will one day), my pets certainly keep me on my toes. It's a wonder I even have any hair left! If it's not one of the kitties getting into something, it's one of the dogs. If it's not one of the dogs, it must be the guinea pigs...or the hamsters...or the bird...or the, well, you get the point...

I've become so aware of everything around me. I try to pet-proof my house (as I'm sure you do as well), but there is always something that can be gotten into. All any of us can do is be as vigilant as possible. And, even then, as in your case with Flambe, there's still no guarantee. But, this story has a happy ending and thank God for that!

What a scare! And, what a save! Flambe's lucky to have you, that's for sure. And, Flambe, next time you want to play with a needle and a thread, come on down to my house -- I have some pants you can hem (I'm kidding, of course)!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you caught the needle and thread in time before he swallowed it. They can get into things even when we're so careful. Whenever I drop a metal clip or especially a rubber band, I pick it up immediately and throw it in the trash. Autumn is a grazer and will find things in the carpet I never knew was there so I vacuum more often....Darn Cats!!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this has a happy ending but I would like to caution people against pulling something like that out that a cat has ingested, unless you know exactly how long it is, and seeing how much is left, can judge how much has gone down.

If you have no idea how long it is, it could be caught on something inside already.

In general, getting the cat to a vet, even an ER, is the best thing to do is this situation, especially if when you do pull, you feel any resistance at all. Cut the needle off the thread first, of course.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wowzers. Glad everything is ok. I put floss, thread, bracelets, anything small and swallowable besides food in a drawer or way up high inside of a vase or something. I only let Chickster play with bottle caps and felt, but they both loooooooveeeee to play with mint floss. I of course do not let them have it, I keep a hold of it and let them chase it.

So glad everything is ok! A NEEDLE ewwwwww scary!!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
That was such a close call !!

My heart sank just reading about your close call. WHEW!