Just got the boys new collars and – Love them!!!!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like to use handmade cotton collars for the boys with their information on the collar itself because I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stand the jingle of a hanging tag.

For a couple of years now Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been using Ragtime Pet Collars and I LOVE their products. But, recently I needed to buy the boys new collars before I went on my cruise and I had changed my phone number (their collars have their name and my phone number embroidered on them) and I realized that the Ragtime Collars were really adding up in the price department! $6 each for the collars, $3 each for the embroidery, and another $6 to ship them left me paying $24 just to put collars on two cats!

I decided that was too much for our budget right now and went another route. We bought some “Belt†style collars from the pet store and then some slide on collar tags off of ebay for $1.00 each with their information engraved on them. Much cheaper, though not as cute. They wore these while we went out of town, but when I got back I figured out that the boys were not happy with this solution. They kept chewing at the little “tail†from the collar where it stuck through the buckle, and the metal of the buckle was wearing their fur off under their chins. I think maybe they were chewing on them because the buckles were irritating them.

Well I took the collars off but since Spooky has a habit of making a run for the door when company comes over, they do have to wear collars. I found This Seller on ebay who makes handmade collars in the same style as Ragtime, but for only $3.99 each instead of $6, and charges less than $2 (combined shipping) to send them. She does not offer embroidery, but since her collars are 5/8†not 1/2†like Ragtime, I asked if I could mail her my collar tags and have her slide them on before she sewed the buckles on. She was very obliging, great communication and the collars look great!

I was able to get both of the boys new collars with their information on them for only $12 ($10 for the collars incl. shipping, and $2 for the collar tags incl. shipping).

Just thought Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d share, as I know everyone is always looking for new options!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How adorable. I love the first picture, I swear they are both smiling and telling everyone "look how handsome we are in our new collars"

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perfect timing for reading your thread. I am in the process of finding new collars for all of my cats without breaking the bank. Incredible prices for those pretty collars and so many choices
Thanks for sharing. And you cats look so proud sporting their new collars

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just FYI the collar tags I ordered were also from Ebay, from This Auction but for these collars you could use any slide on collar tags that fit a 3/8" wide collar. I ordered the tags, had them shipped to me, and then shipped them to the seller of the collars who installed them before sending me the collars. My tags just have the cat's name and then my phone number.

I was mistaken before. It was $3.98 including shipping for the two tags. Here is my totals.

Tags:
$0.99 Spooky's Tag
$0.99 Mulder's Tag
$1.89 Shipping
$3.98 Total

Collars:
$3.99 Spooky's Collar
$3.99 Mulder's Collar
$1.75 Shipping
$9.73 Total

It also cost me 1 $0.44 stamp to mail the collar tags to the collar seller, so we'll add that in.

So $14.42 for both collars, shipped.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW, thanks for the added information. Appreciate it. I am also looking into the embroidered collars, but they are pricey!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I loved the embroidered collars from Ragtime Pet Collars , but they just got too pricey for me right now. The collars themselves hold up great but over time the embroidery gets frayed from scratching and playing and they have to be replaced even if the info stays the same. I've been using them for about 3 years and I have had to replace the collars about every 9-12months.

If you do order from Ragtime, however, Mulder HIGHLY recommends the catnip mouse they sell!!!!

For Comparison Info:
These new collars I ordered from Ebay seem to be a sturdier material. More like a canvas than just cotton which is what the Ragtime collars are made of. They also are a little thicker and heavier. Ragtime has a plastic buckle but a metal size adjuster ring, the ebay collars are all plastic hardware which I like better. Both are washable. Ragtime's collars are 1/2" and the collars this thread was written about are 3/8".

I like both really but I am just trying to save some money right now. I like that the slide tags are more permanent so even when the collars themselves wear out I can cut the tags off and just have new collars made instead of having to have new personalization done.