Just got my second cat

adalii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow isn't this something! I posted about three weeks ago about my wanting a new kitten...and well that happened!

First off, he's pretty much the opposite of what I was searching for...but it kind of just happened this way. I got him from a foster mom from a non official shelter in the area. He was  supposedly well socialized with dogs and cats, as he had 7 brothers and sisters.

He JUST turned 8 weeks the day I adopted him. The reason I got a kitten so young is because the older cats already were "bonded" and they said I needed a younger kitten...interesting.

So I chose the one I thought would get along BEST with Willow, and oh boy isn't she thrilled about this idea haha.

They've never had face-to-face interaction, but they have seen and smelled eachother from afar. Willow used to hiss at him a little bit and steer clear of him, however this morning she decided to venture into my room (he is currently in a playpen at night so he can't hurt himself) and see him. She eats treats and her dinner near his pen and I think this has helped the process. Willow turns one in about a week, and she grew up around cats dogs birds, rats, and a ton of other pets, so she's had no problem adjusting in.

Now for little Teemo.

He seems fearful to be honest, of dogs. He gets all puffy and he cries...

And oh boy does he cry!

He does the tiny baby cry whenever he sees me or even sometimes when I hold him xD I've never seen a baby kitten whine so much, as Willow never ever meowed until recently.

I'm thinking it's just for attention?

I'm willing to work with him and socialization with dogs, as he's slowly getting used to just the smell of them c: But man is this exactly the opposite of what I envisioned xD

Anyways any tips or tricks to get him and Willow to tolerate eachother or for him to tolerate the dogs would be great<3

Finally pictures of Teemo (Mo for short)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teemo is probably lonely.  He was with his 7 siblings now he is in a pen by himself.  Do you have a small stuffed animal you can put in the pen with him?  Even if he is socialized with other cats and dogs it will take at least a week to warm up to each other.  There are articles on this site for introducing cats to kittens and cats to dogs.

BTW kittens are excellant climbers.  He won't be in the pen for long.  You might want to toss a blanket over the top at night.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to keep him separate from your other animals for awhile.  Allow him to acclimate as well as bond with you first.  Also be sure he has all his vaccinations and is dewormed before being around your other animals.  You want to be sure he is tested for FIV and FeLV.

Here are some links and a video on proper cat to cat intros as well as one for dogs too.  Take it slow.  Watch carefully that the kitten is safe.  I would wait a bit before rushing to do intros.  Give it a few days.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adalii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has about 6 toys in the playpen with him, and a covered little crate for sleeping (this is minus all the necessities!) and it does have a top on it.

He is separated from my pets, but he is allowed to see them through a screened door (I keep him with me wherever I go, there just happens to be a lot of screened doors in my house haha) He has his first round of shots, and in a week he gets his second round. 

Willow has since stopped hissing and actually tries to play with the kitten through the door...it's quite adorable. I actually think they will get along pretty well once he has all his shots and he can begin a slow introduction process. I want to have him and Willow be friends before meeting my two little dogs. :) 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow isn't this something! I posted about three weeks ago about my wanting a new kitten...and well that happened!

First off, he's pretty much the opposite of what I was searching for...but it kind of just happened this way. I got him from a foster mom from a non official shelter in the area. He was  supposedly well socialized with dogs and cats, as he had 7 brothers and sisters.

He JUST turned 8 weeks the day I adopted him. The reason I got a kitten so young is because the older cats already were "bonded" and they said I needed a younger kitten...interesting.
So I chose the one I thought would get along BEST with Willow, and oh boy isn't she thrilled about this idea haha.
They've never had face-to-face interaction, but they have seen and smelled eachother from afar. Willow used to hiss at him a little bit and steer clear of him, however this morning she decided to venture into my room (he is currently in a playpen at night so he can't hurt himself) and see him. She eats treats and her dinner near his pen and I think this has helped the process. Willow turns one in about a week, and she grew up around cats dogs birds, rats, and a ton of other pets, so she's had no problem adjusting in.

Now for little Teemo.
He seems fearful to be honest, of dogs. He gets all puffy and he cries...
And oh boy does he cry!
He does the tiny baby cry whenever he sees me or even sometimes when I hold him xD I've never seen a baby kitten whine so much, as Willow never ever meowed until recently.
I'm thinking it's just for attention?
I'm willing to work with him and socialization with dogs, as he's slowly getting used to just the smell of them c: But man is this exactly the opposite of what I envisioned xD
Anyways any tips or tricks to get him and Willow to tolerate eachother or for him to tolerate the dogs would be great