Just got back from my Spots dental appointment.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They removed 5 teeth and cleaned what's left. It was an amazing visit.
Now I just got to get his pain medication and antibiotic down his throat. I'm just amazed that a 5-year going on 6 year cat lost so many teeth. It must run with this breed. He's home and resting, I made an appointment 6 months later. $150.00 for everything, including drugs.
I thanked them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is a purebred chocolate Thai Suphalak.
I can see why he was given to a shelter.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pain medication is buprenorphine, you actually don't want to get that down his throat. Ingested bupe has very little effect. The best absorption for buprenorphine is the space between cheek and gums. But cats being cats, if you simply aim down towards the gums and get most of it in his mouth, that's going to be better absorbed than anything he swallows. Because you don't need him to open his mouth, it's often easiest to ambush a sleeping kitty. Simply peel back a lip and squirt.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an excellent price! My senior cat Kokanee (no longer with us) had her teeth done a few years ago. They removed one tooth and it was well over $1200. That's normal here. Glad he is home and resting.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an excellent price! My senior cat Kokanee (no longer with us) had her teeth done a few years ago. They removed one tooth and it was well over $1200. That's normal here. Glad he is home and resting.
Ouch! I shudder to think what it’ll cost if Phoebe has to have dental work at her checkup next week. She has mild gingivitis, it goes with the IBD, and six months ago the vets weren’t concerned. A mere checkup costs around $100 these days and she has to have both nurse and vet look at her, standard for senior cats apparently.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, it won't be too bad. I took Kokanee in with an abcess. They put her under, removed the tooth and checked the others. I almost died when they told me the amount. Most of it was for the anesthesia.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They removed 5 teeth and cleaned what's left. It was an amazing visit.
Now I just got to get his pain medication and antibiotic down his throat. I'm just amazed that a 5-year going on 6 year cat lost so many teeth. It must run with this breed. He's home and resting, I made an appointment 6 months later. $150.00 for everything, including drugs.
I thanked them.
$150?! I missed that part. 😲 That or I probably thought it said, $1500 and didn't bat at an eye at it. That's about what a dental with X-rays and extractions would cost here. 🤦‍♂️ 😿

You got a great price!

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea $150.00 was the total cost. It's a pet wellness center, they do neutering and dental. They do not do full vet care. I was turned on to them by a local cat shelter that got my 250.00 dollar cat wheel as a donation. My original vet wanted $1,200.00. Anyway, he's doing great, just got his pain meds and antibiotic for the day. So if you're in the Cleveland, Ohio area I'll hook you up they do dogs and cats, but it may take a few months to get in.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the pain medication is buprenorphine, you actually don't want to get that down his throat. Ingested bupe has very little effect. The best absorption for buprenorphine is the space between cheek and gums. But cats being cats, if you simply aim down towards the gums and get most of it in his mouth, that's going to be better absorbed than anything he swallows. Because you don't need him to open his mouth, it's often easiest to ambush a sleeping kitty. Simply peel back a lip and squirt.
They gave me 3 syringe of Meloxicam liquid form. I asked them if it was ok to put in his delectable treat, they said it was ok. You got to understand this cat is solid muscle, it took me 30 minutes to corner him to get into the carrier for the vet visit. His nickname is panther.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They gave me 3 syringe of Meloxicam liquid form. I asked them if it was ok to put in his delectable treat, they said it was ok. You got to understand this cat is solid muscle, it took me 30 minutes to corner him to get into the carrier for the vet visit. His nickname is panther.
Meloxicam is a different medicine. I think if that also needed special instructions, you would have been sent home with them.