Just got a new kitty

haitwun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, i'm a new cat owner. Never had a cat before so i'm not totally sure what i'm doing. I just picked up my little guy three days ago at the local shelter and i'm a little surprised and disappointed with him.
He was very affectionate in the car and at the shelter. Lying in my lap and letting me pet him. But as soon as i introduce him to his new home, he adopts a whole new personality. He just hides under my desk or my bed all the time and when i get close to him, he hisses at me. I'm so confused. I'm not sure what i did wrong. Hopefully, this is just a phase for him. All my cat books say that it takes about a week for a cat to adjust to his new home (which probably includes the owner). I guess i'll just be patient with him. He is probably still heart broken from being abandoned by his previous owner.
As far as i can tell, he is perfectly healthy. He is eatting well and goes to the litterbox without any problem. And best of all, he hasn't destroyed anything. He doesn't seem to pay any attention to his scratching post but i'm just glad he isn't using any furniture to satisfy his needs.
What does it mean if he just sits there and "meow meow meows" at me? His water bowl is always clean and full and he gets two hearty meals a day. And he sure as heck doesn't want me to pet him. "HIIISSSS"

any help would be much appreicated

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said it right, be patient. He will come around, he is getting used to everything just feed him, and let him be. He will jump into your lap again if you are patient.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Thank you for adopting your new cat. You are right, he is in an adjusting period, and you will have to be patient. Just avoid loud voices and noises and haste. Talk to him as often as possible. Your friendly voice will soon make him realize he has a new permanent and loving home.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Sierra and I welcome you and your baby to TCS!
So glad you joined us and look forward to getting to know you better!
Congratulations on your new addition to your family! This is a wonderful question for our Behavior Forum where our experts are sure to see it! What a big transition this is for your little kitty. Sounds as if you're taking wonderful care of him! It has only been a short while, and it will take a bit of time for him to get adjusted to his new home and family. If he wants to hide under the bed, don't push him to come out until he is ready. You can just go in the room with him, sit on the floor, and talk or read softly to him. It will take a bit of love and patience, but he will soon become so much more comfortable. Others will surely come along with excellent advice for you both. I would be so happy to help you in any way as you learn your way around the site. Please, simply click on my user name and send me a Private Message!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!!

Yeah, I agree he's in totally new surroundings and he just needs a bit more time to adjust. Hang in there, he'll come around in his own time.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he needs time to adjust and might have had a rough life already or he just feels upset because of the new surroundings. It also sounds like when he wants attention he will come looking for it. Being alone in a cage at the shelter most likey made him a bit more affectionate because he was feeling lonely. Hopefully after he adjusts you and he will find a good balance. Best of luck to you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haitwun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the great advice. This morning, he leapt up on my bed within 2 feet of me and when i reached out to him, he didn't hiss. I'm still kinda scared to get too close.
I guess we both need time.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

I agree with everyone else, just be patient. Think of it from kitty's point of view...his whole world has been turned upsidedown. He was brought into a strange place with a strange person. Everything is foreign, and his survival insticts are kicking in until he is aclimated to this new place. That's why he's hiding. He's scared, and doesn't know what is going to try to eat him in this strange place...which is why he hissed at you. As you can see, with time he's becoming more comfortable with the new place and new smells and sights. It won't be long before he's the love-bug you fell in love with at the shelter.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Are you noticing your little guy getting more comfortable day by day? Cats aren't big on change, but once he's adapted to his new home, you will be so glad he chose you
Do you have a name for him yet? We'd love to see pictures!
Amy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haitwun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just happy that this morning, he has graced me with an empty food and water bowl as well as a huge pile of poo in the litterbox. =)
I'll try to get some photos ASAP. That will depend on when he decides to come out from under the bed.

eva-loves-cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WELCOME

I hope you really like it here, I only joined her a few weeks ago and now I can't help but come back frequently. If you need any help at all feel free to send me a private message and I will do what I can to help.

I can remember when i got my first cat and i was so nervous I wouldn't know what to do but it all came so naturally and I read lots of books and information too just to make myself feel better. And now I have 3 cats, Eviecat who is about 2 years 5 months and Molly who is still a kitten and is about 8 months and then we have a new addition which will be joining us on the 29th march. He is a male ragdoll kitten.

When i first got Eviecat, she was from a shelter place too and when we saw her she was also very affecionate like you mentioned and when we got home with her and let her out she hide under the smallest place which was under the futton 9a sofa like thing that turns into a bed). It took quite a while for her to come out...I did leave a trail of biscuits to try and encourage her to come out. And after a while she did so don't loose hope. i think they have just been through a lot and are a little scared but when they settle down they are a lot happier. Within a week she was happy enough for us to hold her, cuddle her etc. So I think your cat just needs time to settle in and then i am sure he will be happier with you giving him so attention. I know it can be hard and upsetting but just give him time and I promise things will change.

You may start to notice things about him when he is settling down, like for example we found out that for Eviecat she got very freaked out if she was shut out of anything or the door was shut whilst she was in a room etc. And little things like the noise of certain things like us opening a plastic bin bag would freak her out. I think thats all due to the experiances she has been through but as he learns to trust you and know you wont hurt him he will let you come and give him some comfort.

I hope that advice helped and if I can help in any other way just get in touch with me.

Hope to see you around soon,

Eva x

luckyirish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by haitwun

Hi, i'm a new cat owner. Never had a cat before so i'm not totally sure what i'm doing. I just picked up my little guy three days ago at the local shelter and i'm a little surprised and disappointed with him.
He was very affectionate in the car and at the shelter. Lying in my lap and letting me pet him. But as soon as i introduce him to his new home, he adopts a whole new personality. He just hides under my desk or my bed all the time and when i get close to him, he hisses at me. I'm so confused. I'm not sure what i did wrong. Hopefully, this is just a phase for him. All my cat books say that it takes about a week for a cat to adjust to his new home (which probably includes the owner). I guess i'll just be patient with him. He is probably still heart broken from being abandoned by his previous owner.
As far as i can tell, he is perfectly healthy. He is eatting well and goes to the litterbox without any problem. And best of all, he hasn't destroyed anything. He doesn't seem to pay any attention to his scratching post but i'm just glad he isn't using any furniture to satisfy his needs.
What does it mean if he just sits there and "meow meow meows" at me? His water bowl is always clean and full and he gets two hearty meals a day. And he sure as heck doesn't want me to pet him. "HIIISSSS"

any help would be much appreicated
We just got our 1st kitten also and I am feeling the same way. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your feelings of confusion!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm a new cat owner too. It sounds like your kitty is doing the same thing mine did when we brought her home. I'm glad to hear there's some improvement. Your kitty is very handsome, from what I can see of him.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound crazy, but I've always found that cats want to be the pursuers.They don't like to be coaxed and forced into displays of affection. They like to come to you on their own terms, in their own time. Sounds like it's about time if he's jumping up on the bed!

Try not to be apprehensive as a stressed owner results in a stressed kitty.

I'd guess that his persistent mewing is just him figuring things out--and voicing his uncertainties! Some cats are just talkers...

A personal note: I leave dry food down all day so my cat can free-feed. I've never had one overeat...