Just got a cat and have some questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, woke up this morning and she's sprawled out on me. Purring every second of it lol.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll give you some advice that would probably never occur to non-cat people.

If you want her on your bed, take a blanket, fold it up so that it's about 2 feet square, and put it on the bed where you want her to lie. The odds are good that's where you'll find her.

Want her to lie down next to you at your desk? Put a sheet of typing paper on the floor right where you want her (but be very careful--don't put it where you can run over her tail with your chair wheels).

Want her ON your desk? Put a small empty box, like a shoebox, on your desk.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bryce

Well, woke up this morning and she's sprawled out on me. Purring every second of it lol.
So now you recognize a purr, huh?

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is great advice from mrblanche! I found out by accident that my girl likes to sit on glossy papers like a magazine or a text book, so I put one on my bed or desk and she'll eventually settle there. She'd never stay anywhere if I picked her up and put her there, so this sneaky tactic makes me happy!
... I just have to remind myself to check under her (she's a longhair) before I leave in the morning to make sure I have all my books!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

If you want her on your bed, take a blanket, fold it up so that it's about 2 feet square, and put it on the bed where you want her to lie. The odds are good that's where you'll find her.

Want her to lie down next to you at your desk? Put a sheet of typing paper on the floor right where you want her (but be very careful--don't put it where you can run over her tail with your chair wheels).

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'll try that. I'm using a nice, big, fluffy blanket to for it. Let's see if she goes to it. She does like this green magazine I've got over here though ll.

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the kitty! I'm sure she will be fine once she adjusts. I know my Maui used to be shy and she's not shy at all now. I moved from my apt to a house and she slinked around and hid, but she is adjusting now. Just give your kitty some time and she will be alright.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I get back from eating and she greeted me at the door meowing lol.

She can climb vertically
? She just scaled the back of my chair.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, they can climb. They use both the back and front feet to climb so they can climb diagonally as well.
Fiona loved to climb up the back of my sisters computer chair when she worked from home. She would perch right on the back and meow loudly in her ear for attention, not a great thing when she was on a call. One time the person said " Was that a cat meowing? "

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the kitty...She will come out of her shell eventually...I have 3 kitties and all three have VERY different personalities that clash more often than not. Fatman my solitary cat will growl and hiss at anyone who comes near him when he wants alone time but he is also the first one in bed with us at night to go to sleep. So just give your cat time to relax and get used to things you might get "lucky" and end up with two bipolar psychos like I have in my other two!! LOL

Good luck!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bryce

Well, I get back from eating and she greeted me at the door meowing lol.

She can climb vertically
? She just scaled the back of my chair.
Yeah. Your leg, the curtains, etc. A "cat tree" is a common first purchase.

By the way, if you want her to be on top of that tall server, put a shallow box up there, like what comes on the bottom of a case of Coke, or something like that. That way she can feel safe "inside" it, but can still see over the edges.

Make sure it's secure up there, so she doesn't pull it down when she jumps up. She could get injured in the fall, or be so afraid she won't come back in the room.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the top of that server cabinet is like that. There's about an inch or so where she can feel safe and all. Only thing is it's 6 foot tall, two holes in the top of it which I was going to block up anyway when I built shelves for it lol. I'll just have to figure something out so if she wants to get up there she can.