Just Got A 7 Week Old Kitten

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking such good care of this little one.

Please be sure to keep her 100% inside until she is fully vaccinated and spayed. I know some vets will push for 6 months for the spay, but see if you can find a vet who will do it earlier. The standard in the US is 2 pounds or 2 months.

If it’s possible to encourage the person you got the kitten from to spay their cat as well, that would be great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

browniecat3004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are tons of decent wet kitten foods over here, even some of the supermarket ones.

Whiskas kitten in jelly (widely available)

Webbox natural premium kitten (Asda)

Lily's Kitchen kitten

Thrive Complete kitten

Nature's Menu kitten

Little Big Paw kitten

Wainwrights kitten (pets at home own brand)

Purely Holistic kitten (pets at home own brand)

Pure kitten

Most of the Zooplus.co.uk own brands are pretty good too, and Zooplus is my go-to for most cat supplies generally. They have some great, cheap brands that have better ingredients (imo) than equivalent prices elsewhere.

I tend to stay away from Royal Canin and Hills because they're overpriced and full of fillers.

Felix is pretty good for a supermarket food, but I prefer Whiskas because it doesn't have any sugar or vegetable protein (two things that cats aren't designed to digest).

As a rule of thumb, I just read the ingredients and avoid anything with sugars or high amounts of vegetable extracts/grains, especially when they're high up on the ingredients list. I don't fuss about a little inulin or other vegetable fibre, or extras that are listed AFTER minerals. In those situations, the quantity added is so low as to not be worth fussing about ;)

Hope at least some of that helps :)
oh thanks for letting me know! i think my parents probably will end up buying whiskas if they can’t find felix :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I admit that maybe I should not have used the word antibodies. However, it does have a form of colostrum, prebiotics, probiotics and the necessary vitamins and minerals for a healthy kitten usually not found in either canned or dry food. This is important for the future health of a kitten. Even though they were eating food, all my orphan fosters have been supplemented with it until I had to give them back.

This is your kitten, only you can decide what to do.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I admit that maybe I should not have used the word antibodies. However, it does have a form of colostrum, prebiotics, probiotics and the necessary vitamins and minerals for a healthy kitten usually not found in either canned or dry food. This is important for the future health of a kitten. Even though they were eating food, all my orphan fosters have been supplemented with it until I had to give them back.

This is your kitten, only you can decide what to do.
Royal Canin Mother & Babycat food actually does have those prebiotics and vitamins. (Not that Royal Canin is the best company, but they do well in these areas.)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to use KMR or goat's milk, but it's just not necessary to have a healthy kitten.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A young kitten definitely needs proper nutrition... Goat's milk or kitten milk replacer is not *necessary* but can be useful for getting extra nutrition into a kitten (you can also use goat's milk or kitten milk replacer for mother cats, or adult cats under stress).

Colostrum is only relevant in the first couple of days after birth. After 12-48 hours, the gut is no longer able to absorb antibodies from colostrum.

Last edited:

browniecat3004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for taking such good care of this little one.

Please be sure to keep her 100% inside until she is fully vaccinated and spayed. I know some vets will push for 6 months for the spay, but see if you can find a vet who will do it earlier. The standard in the US is 2 pounds or 2 months.

If it’s possible to encourage the person you got the kitten from to spay their cat as well, that would be great.
oh don’t worry we will not let her out for until she’s got everything done and is old enough. I’ll talk to my vet about the possibility of getting her spayed earlier. I’m not really sure if it would be appropriate for me to tell him that :/

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh don’t worry we will not let her out for until she’s got everything done and is old enough. I’ll talk to my vet about the possibility of getting her spayed earlier. I’m not really sure if it would be appropriate for me to tell him that :/
Your cat only has you to advocate for her! You can tell your vet that you’re interested in spaying as soon as is safe, and before she starts going into heat. You can express that as your preference, and find another vet who is more current on recommendations.

browniecat3004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat only has you to advocate for her! You can tell your vet that you’re interested in spaying as soon as is safe, and before she starts going into heat. You can express that as your preference, and find another vet who is more current on recommendations.
that’s pretty much what id said i would do? if you’re responding to the last part of my reply, that part was a response towards you suggesting i should tell the guy who i got my kitten from to spay his own cat, i don’t really see the point in telling him that and it’s also a bit awkward

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that’s pretty much what id said i would do? if you’re responding to the last part of my reply, that part was a response towards you suggesting i should tell the guy who i got my kitten from to spay his own cat, i don’t really see the point in telling him that and it’s also a bit awkward
It's okay, I think it was just a misunderstanding because of the phrasing of your post.

The point would be to prevent any more litters, since there are so many kittens without homes already. But if you feel too uncomfortable, that's your call!

Last edited:

browniecat3004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's okay, I think it was just a misunderstanding because of the phrasing of your post.

The point would be to prevent anymore litters, since there are so many kittens without homes already. But if you feel too uncomfortable, that's your call!
yeah sorry, sometimes i’m terrible with the way i word things.