Just for fun: Share your cat's current food rotation

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the examples. I think we will stick to the one brand of dry for now until they are one year old, then probably switch to an all wet diet. As for the wet food. That's what I was thinking...one whole can of the same wet food, they Half and half of each then the new food, right? Thank you!
Most of us feed a fairly large rotation of foods. You're right, it's best to start off slowly until the kitties get used to it, but being so young, it'll probably be very quick. Mine get the rotation l mentioned above ^ and never get back-to-back same meals. And if/when l can, l give them the choice of 2 different canned/raw at each meal. They usually will eat some of both, but occasionally one cat will choose only the raw or only the canned choice.

catlover3083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my 2 cats Cloe and Sadie a mix of a couple brands.

Dry:

Current: Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Ultra Formula

Previous: Holistic Blend Chicken and Salmon

1 cup is left out for free feeding.

Wet:

Friskies Pate only chicken and chef's dinner (no seafood)

Fancy Feast Classics only (no seafood as well)

2 times a day feeding morning and night

Treats: Temptations

I only feed the friskies and fancy feast and tempations because I live in a very small town in newfoundland, canada and I pay a very high shipping cost to get the Natural Balance and Holistic Blend food to my remote address. When I do go into a larger town that has a pet store, I do get a higher quality food like wellness or simular for them. I will not feed my cats grocery store dry food so i do pay more for the largest bag I can get shipped to me. I really wish that I could also ship cans of wet food to me but the cost is too much for what I would get. 

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in the UK and have two 8 month old kittens.

I feed them dry in the day either Science Diet Adult chicken or Vet's Kitchen chicken (grain free).  They sell Hills Science Diet in our vets so I assumed it was good quality? I read about grain free on here so I get the Vet's Kitchen stuff when I can but I have to order online so sometimes emergency calls for Science Diet like this week.

In the evenings maybe 5/7 days a week they share a can or sachet. I have a mixture of Hills Science pate (chicken or beef) and the Almo cans with chicken and pumpkin and sometimes Lily's cat food (turkey).

We don't use "cups" in the UK but I actually do use a small teacup to dispense the dry food, I usually do a good portion in each bowl in the morning (around 7am) to last them through to we get home between 7 and 8pm at this point they have the wet food and a sprinkling of  dry afterwards if they are still pestering.

I have a mixture of treats, some Thrive some Vet's kitchen some of those pepparami stick like things!

I am a bit worried they are eating too much? Should I give them less dry in the mornings for the daytime? 99% of the time the bowls will be empty when I get home.  I also do know Dennis eats a LOT more than his sister Squish.  When we were last at the vet a few months ago for final jabs etc she was happy with their weights but they have both grown quite a bit since then and Dennis is actually quite heavy now!!

I have a few questions :

1. Do you think I should cut down on the dry food servings in the day time?

2. Does anyone in the UK have recommendations for good quality dry/wet food you can buy in the supermarket for times when online is not convenient or visiting the vets? Iams and Purina are generally the "premium" dry available consistently and there is a brand called "gourmet" for wet I believe that does pate tins and "encore" does anyone know if these are any good?

Thanks!

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From Australia. Jasper is about 8 months old. I feed any of the following in no particular order, just trying to keep a balanced variety. I feed Jasper about 4 times a day (five if he gets stroppy). An average day would be 1 to 2 small cans (below), a packet of commercial raw, and assorted bits of raw meat (maybe about 100gms). We've just upped the amount of raw and I'm going to get some kitchen scales soon so I can weigh it properly.

Canned - these are the only two I've found that Jasper will eat. Any of the 'premium' brands were sniffed and rejected. Canned is quite expensive in Australia I've realised. Both these cost about $1 per can.

1. Fancy Feast Classics - any flavour

2. Nature's Gift - either Kangaroo, Beef, or Chicken & Pilchard (stinky!). This is an Australian only brand I think. It comes in 100gm trays and has good ingredients as far as I can tell. No by products, grains or fillers. Just meat, some type of thickener, and added vitamins and minerals. It looks too good to be true and there must be a catch, probably the thickener.

Raw -

1. Commercial - either Turkey or Kangaroo. Australia has very limited choice for commercial raw food and all are BARF style. This one is called Big Dog for Cats and comes in 115gm packets.

2. Raw meat - currently in the freezer is chicken neck, meat, giblets, liver, and heart. Kangaroo meat (his favourite). Ox kidney. I'm going to start giving an occasional egg too.

Treats - freeze dried meats - I bought a bag full of samples which has things like rabbit liver, turkey breast, duck heart and heaps more.

Dry - if I'm out of the house for a whole day I leave out some dry. We're currently trying Earthborn grain-free and still have a bag of Ziwipeak to use up.

jklaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Spider has a "rotation" of two foods: Spot's Pate chicken and Wellness Core chicken/turkey. I've gone through just about every other canned food out there. He only likes pates for texture. What do these two have in common that makes him like them and NOTHING else. I'd love to have a third food to rotate in there.

malyssa828

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have an exact rotation yet, since I've only had my kitten, Whiskey, for 1 week so far. BUT he currently likes/has eaten the following:

DRY
Wellness Core Kitten

WET
Nature's Variety Instinct Healthy Weight Chicken (I had coupons...)
Purina One SmartBlend chicken pate & turkey pate (again coupons or else I probably wouldn't have purchased)
Evanger's Organics braised chicken
Halo Spot's Stew wholesome lamb

He didn't like the following:
Purina Pro Plan Kitten ocean whitefish & tuna flaked
Whiskas chicken tender bites (came in kitten bag when I adopted him)

Although, I have a bunch more brands & flavors to try with him still. We're just at the beginning of our food journey. Plus I am hopefully bringing home his sister next week, so I'll have to figure out what she likes as well. :)

Last edited: