Just Diagnosed With Ckd Last Week, Few Questions

Jrs86

Thachary Binx
Kitten
Purraise
My Thackery Binx was diagnosed with CKD last Thursday (on his 10th birthday of all days ) and he’s since been on sub-qs, appetite stimulant and a ph binder. Before I took him to the vet and up until yesterday or so, he was drinking a lot and urinating just as much. But since his treatment started and I took him off dry food, it seems like he’s urinating less but still drinking just fine. Is this a good sign or a bad one? His appetite is coming back as he is eating without much help from a stimulant. He’s alert, but still in the meatloaf position more than I’d like. He’s vocal when I come home and greets me. Today he even showed interest in his favorite toy as well as catnip. He seems to be on the road to recovery. I have studied Tanya’s website quiet a bit, but I couldn’t find anything regarding frequent urination improving in kidney kitties. Anyone experience this?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat only slowed on the frequency of urination if he was becoming dehydrated. Otherwise the peeing is always a fair amount. But my cat is also in a very advanced stage, so I'm not sure how helpful that is for you. How much fluid do you give Binx again? I can't remember from your other thread. My vet has told me that if I ever felt the need to give mine an extra dose of fluids if he seemed sluggish or "off" it would not hurt him, you could ask your vet if that would be OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jrs86

Thachary Binx
Kitten
Purraise
He’s had quite a bit, actually. Wednesday, they gave him 200ml initially. Thursday another 200ml. Saturday 150ml and yesterday was 100ml. With all that fluid and the water he’s drinking on his own, I’d expect his urination to be excessive still, but it isn’t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jrs86

Thachary Binx
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think he’s retaining water better? I know kidneys don’t get better with CKD so maybe a misdiagnosis?