Just Curious... (Grain-Free Diet)

csteen85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with a long-term grain-free diet and whether it increases quality or length of life.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Realize that grain frees in a dry form are too new for a cat to have started as a kitten and lived a full lifespan... Ie less than 10 yrs when the ave lifespan is 14

I have used them but ended up with UTI and other issues... It is kind of a each kitty is different type thing..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

csteen85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, by feeding my kitten Grain Free, am I treating him like a guinea pig?

I don't want to find out in 10 more years that I did the wrong thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that potatoes (in almost all grain-free dry foods) are not too different from grains, the main thing about grain-free foods is that most (not all) have higher protein than most grain foods. I wouldn't worry about there being a substantial difference.

Anyway, feed your kitty what he does best with now
. If he's not throwing up a lot, shedding too much, getting a lot of infections, etc. then it would sound like he's doing fine! He might need to change foods as he get older, but if he's doing fine now there's no need to worry.

motogato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by csteen85

Hi all,

I'm just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with a long-term grain-free diet and whether it increases quality or length of life.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!
Cats aren't designed by Mother Nature to eat grains. Corn turns to sugar carbs and is extremely bad for cats. I know, because I just lost my little pal to a very nasty case of diabetes. Had I known more about feline nutrition, I would never have spoiled him (in more ways than one!) by indulging him with fancy dry cat treats. "Natural" or "healthy" grains are actually the feline equivalent of high fructose corn syrup.

Higher protein wet foods are the way to go.

If you insist on grains, balance it with plenty of real meat or fish. And always read the ingredients. You'll be surprised how many so-called "healthy" or "natural" products are just meat-flavored cheap corn filler.

Don't buy the hype. Be smart now, and avoid expensive, long-running nightmares later in your kitty's life.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are obligate carnivores which means they must eat a high-protein, moderate fat and minimal carbohydrate diet. They cannot use carbs like a dog can. Firstly, they do not have the salivary amylase to initiate the carbohydrate digestion process. Secondly, they do not have the enzymes in their digestive system (i.e. intestines, pancreas) to break down carbohydrates. They also need specific amino acids which are found in animal-source proteins. One of which is taurine; they cannot synthesize this amino acid on their own like a dog can so they need to get it from their food. There are other amino acids in meat which cats require to keep them healthy. Cats rely on protein for energy but also for other processes in terms of their physical health and synthesis of various enzymes and the like.

Unfortunately, there is no conclusive research on the grain-free foods but I would venture to guess that, as a previous poster said, that potatoes would act the same as a grain. They are a starch which will convert to sugar which will increase the production of glucagon. Thus it has a high glycemic index. High glycemic foods are often stored as fat and also raise insulin levels. Sick cats often have a high concentration of glucagon (along with cortisol and norepinephrine).

Having said that, I think that canned food would provide your cat with better nutrition as it has higher protein and a higher level of moisture. That is just my opinion so you can take it or leave it. I would choose a food with the majority of the protein coming from animal sources as opposed to carbohydate-based sources.

Good for you for searching for the best way to feed your cat You'll get lots of helpful information on this site. Keep in mind that genetics play a huge role in an animal's health so the food you feed may not be the culprit if your cat does get sick. Just be assured that you're feeding your cat the best food you can and giving her a life of health and well-being. Don't stress too much - your cat will sense it!!!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

Cats are obligate carnivores which means they must eat a high-protein, moderate fat and minimal carbohydrate diet. They cannot use carbs like a dog can. Firstly, they do not have the salivary amylase to initiate the carbohydrate digestion process. Secondly, they do not have the enzymes in their digestive system (i.e. intestines, pancreas) to break down carbohydrates. They also need specific amino acids which are found in animal-source proteins. One of which is taurine; they cannot synthesize this amino acid on their own like a dog can so they need to get it from their food. There are other amino acids in meat which cats require to keep them healthy. Cats rely on protein for energy but also for other processes in terms of their physical health and synthesis of various enzymes and the like.

Unfortunately, there is no conclusive research on the grain-free foods but I would venture to guess that, as a previous poster said, that potatoes would act the same as a grain. They are a starch which will convert to sugar which will increase the production of glucagon. Thus it has a high glycemic index. High glycemic foods are often stored as fat and also raise insulin levels. Sick cats often have a high concentration of glucagon (along with cortisol and norepinephrine).

Having said that, I think that canned food would provide your cat with better nutrition as it has higher protein and a higher level of moisture. That is just my opinion so you can take it or leave it. I would choose a food with the majority of the protein coming from animal sources as opposed to carbohydate-based sources.

Good for you for searching for the best way to feed your cat You'll get lots of helpful information on this site. Keep in mind that genetics play a huge role in an animal's health so the food you feed may not be the culprit if your cat does get sick. Just be assured that you're feeding your cat the best food you can and giving her a life of health and well-being. Don't stress too much - your cat will sense it!!!
BTW the info in the first two paragraphs is based on an article on Feline Nutrition by Dr. Marie Holowaychuk. Sorry I meant to include this in my message.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

BTW the info in the first two paragraphs is based on an article on Feline Nutrition by Dr. Marie Holowaychuk. Sorry I meant to include this in my message.
When trying to give credit it is best to either link or tell name of book or magazine it can be found... Is this a Vet or a Dr?...Some of the info is very solid and easily found some of the other may be questioned..This is why I am sure many would like look up the original article

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed grain free to my 4 (TOTW), 2 are kittens, one is 2 and the other will be 3 next week. For me it is the best choice for my kitties they do really well on that kind of food, it helped my adult cats with some poo issues they were having and also made a noticable difference in their coats.

One thing that worried me about feeding grain free though is UTIs and if it can cause them. When I switched over to just grain free my oldest kitty who just passed away got a UTI once it was treated and I started adding in the junk food (Purina Indoor) he never got another UTI afterwards. I worry a bit because the kitties are back on just TOTW and having just the lone male in the house Im wondering if I should add some junk food into the mix because I dont want him to get UTIs...granted he has never had one ever and he is a water junkie..

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

When trying to give credit it is best to either link or tell name of book or magazine it can be found... Is this a Vet or a Dr?...Some of the info is very solid and easily found some of the other may be questioned..This is why I am sure many would like look up the original article
The info is not from a website but the material from one of the conferences which the owner of the clinic where I work attended. It is written by a vet with additional letters after her name....DAVECC I think...not sure what those stand for.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coincidence or not, I always fed a grain free diet, and within 1 1/2 yr it gave my male cat a nasty bloody UTI that landed him in the ER in the middle of the night... I removed the grain free food from the menu immediately, and now they eat a one grain food, just to be on the safe side.