Just curious about the types of jobs you have all had?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mowing Grass
Washing Dirt (USDA internet studying soil aggregates - I like Washing Dirt better)
Take our fast food place
Sales clerk at Sears during christmas holiday (ack I still don't like shopping during that season!)
Vaccuum Cleaner Salesperson....
Yeah, it didn't work out. Still remember the name: Tri-Star
Vet Tech - for the meanest vet in Chevy Chase MD. Still take all my vets with grain of salt because of him.
--- After College ---
Computer Programmer
Database/Unix Administrator
Manager Information Technology
Cheif cook and bottle washer.... oh wait, that is the same as the manger thingy.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

During my 12 years in Tombstone, I was a historical reenactor.
I've seen the street shows many times - what years were you there and where did you do your reenactments? Believe it or not, most of the artwork in my hosue was purchased in Tombstone!!

I have a weird one: most kids had paper routes. I had an egg route. Sold cartons of eggs door to door when I was about 8. Dad believed in putting us to work early to learn the value of earning money. I was required to open a savings account and put 1/2 of my earnings away each week.

Worked at a bakery at 16, then cutting fabric for a department store for a few years, then moved into Information Technology, where I've been stuck for the last 25+ years. I'm as burned out as can be and am searching for that home based business to carry me over until retirement.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, mind you, some of these jobs overlapped...I had as many as 3 at a time

-I started babysitting when I was 12, did that for many years
-Waitressed drinks at a bowling alley at 17 (yup...underaged!)
-Worked at a canning factory. Whoo, that is, hands down, the worst job I ever had...8-16 hour night shifts 6-7days/week. You haven't had a sucky job until you've been on your feet all night picking twigs, stones, and dead mice out of green beans going by on a conveyer belt! Did that for two summers
-Worked at a Six Flags theme park. I worked at the little stands (soda, nachos, etc.), cashiering at first, sometimes got stuck in a room making cotton candy...a surprisingly close second to the worst job (behind the mouse carcass patrol mentioned above), then "lead", which basically meant keeping the stands stocked, and hauling 300lbs of ice around the park. And, no, it's not funny if you jump on the cart as I'm pulling it!
2 summers.
-Worked at Cedar Point amusement park at a taffy/ice cream, etc. stand. Cashiered, pulled taffy, made cotton candy (again!), funnel cakes, etc. 1 summer
-Various jobs while going to college: day care center (loved it), office scut work, kitchen prep, cafeteria serving, movie projectionist, and probably other jobs I've forgotten!
-Neonatal ICU nurse (sick babies)
-I worked at an infertility practice, I did office work there, but also got to do cool stuff like some of the artificial inseminations...it was so great when one of my patients got pregnant!
-Now a labor and delivery nurse
-I am also a freelance photographer...B/W portraits, hand coloring, theater promotion stuff.

Good Lord! When you put it all together like that, it's amazing! I've never really thought about it!

Good thread, it's really interesting to see the various jobs people have had!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky to report I've never really had a job I haven't thoroughly enjoyed - except for working at Flight Centre. That was a complete nightmare and I still have bad dreams about it years after I quit. Horrible horrible job. Great company - don't get me wrong - one of the most rewarding companies to work for and they treat you really well. But I was stuck in a small shop 2000 hours a week with three bitches who were NOT helpful but just ganged up on me all the time (something I am not used to) and the pressure was just unbelievable. Before I started I heard that working as a travel consultant was at least as stressful as being a doctor. I used to scoff at that until I worked in both travel and medicine. It's true!!!! Ugggggh.

The best job I've had is of course the one I have now in the hospital, but that's only because I'm studying medicine and it's my career. But before that I worked as a commercial/promo producer in commercial radio. I am a sound engineer so I got to spend my whole day mucking about with music, sound effects, voice etc. It was very creative and there's big perks in radio. I LOVED that job but in the end I had to follow my heart, which was medicine.

I'm also a qualified beauty therapist and makeup artist and I have a business on the side called `Just Gorgeous' where I do wedding packages of hair, makeup and nails. It's fantastic and a great money-spinner when studying!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only really had a few small jobs, first was working at our Butcher shop, the next was working at our Pizza shop(that was fun) and now I'm a part time cattery hand.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I babysat until I turned 16 at which time I began working at Winn Dixie, a grocery store, as a cashier as well as Western Sizzlin, a steak house, as the girl who made the salads, the drinks, and kept the salad bar stocked. At 17, I began working as hostess at Applebees, a bar and grill, until I began serving upon turning 18. I had lots of fun there. Served at a couple more bar and grills in my early 20's until I began working at a Childcare center and then as a Nurse's Assistant until I graduated from Nursing School. Worked in Labor/Deliver at a hospital until I realized nomatter how much I enjoyed L&D, I adamently detested working at a hospital. I have been a Private Duty Pediatric Nurse ever since.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job, at 13 was cleaning shrimp at a seafood and chicken restaraunt. YUCK! I had several fast food jobs, then I was assistant to the aerobics teacher and beginner ballet teacher and assistant gymnastics coach to 3-10 year olds in an after school program at the YWCA. After high school, I went to school to be an EMT, and did that for awhile. I hated it! It didn't take long to burn out on that one.
Then I was a bartender for several years. I had a really fun job as a dancer in a costume ballroom in New Orleans. We would have theme nights, dress in the clothes from whatever the theme for the night, (Civil War, Wild West, Roaring Twenties, Big Band) and dance with the custoners. Then it was retail jobs for many years, mostly in craft stores, cashier, stocker, custom framer.
Then I apprenticed for a year to be a body piercer, and worked at that for a few years. It made me realize that was the worst job ever, and after 27 years out of high school, I went back to school to be a Massage Therapist. Yesterday, I landed the best job in town, at a beautiful day spa. I start today, working on the owner. I am so excited!

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was in college. I worked for the football team, giving campus tours to prospective recruits and their parents. Secondly, I worked at Texas Steakhouse as a server. Then I worked as a bartender at a bar/grill for 5 years. After that, I worked for Enterprise Rent-a-Car as the manager of a rental branch. And now, I am once again bartending. I hope to open my own place in some resort area in the future.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone has some really interesting and varied backgrounds in their past, so I'm compelled to reply to this too, though I haven't had a lot of different jobs, except within the same company. Other than starting off delivering flyers and moving on to paper boy (the big money
) I also worked in fast food for about a year. Then I worked at a natural gas compressor station that started out as a summer job and lead to more, doing things such as painting, weeding, spreading crushed rock in the yard, occasionally helping the permanent employees, (me being the grunt or the gopher of course), or mopping up hot oil from under the noisy jet engines and mess of pipes.

After a few years or so of that, an opportunity arose for me to join the pipeline construction side, which was totally different. I would be working on the road a lot and be trained on the job to be a construction inspector. It was a good career, but stressful working with greedy contractors who were always trying to cut corners at the expense of the men who worked for them and of course the natural gas company as well. I think I learned a lot working with people usually much older than me who often didn't give a damn about some young inspector.

Construction wasn't on all the time. I also worked in other related departments where lines got dug up for coating/corossion assessments or pipe integrity tests. I also worked in the corrosion department taking soil readings along the lines. That meant a lot of crazy days with blackflies and wood ticks when working in the woods and rock because construction only took place in those areas in winter time and we only had to put up with the cold, which was quite bad itself really. -40 almost every day one winter not including windchill.

It brings back a lot of memories just typing about it. I saw things such as 500 hole blasts with loads of dynamite, or a single hand restoring the land one piece at a time. I saw armies of backhoes, sidebooms, dozers and the rare hydroax making all kinds of noise, or the quietest moments at the break of dawn, where you could barely stand to kick the dust off the ground. I saw beautiful blue flowing fields of flax and golden fields of wheat outstretched all around me with no end in sight, or the claustrophobic thick of the woods and rock. I met multi-millionares who wouldn't give you so much as a smile, poor men who would give you the world and vise versa. *Sigh... I really miss it sometimes. I could go on and on, but hopefully I can go on and on in the video game industry instead. I belong somewhere in there.