Just caught a few strays from our backyard

taypurade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A mother cat had five kittens in our backyard. We managed to catch her and two others, but three kittens still remain at large :(

Any advice?

Also, here is a picture of mommy cat

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taypurade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are probably about 8 weeks old, and we aren't too sure about the mother. She looks about one, though.

As for the method we used to catch them, it was a large cage that we had to wait with. Once a kitten walked into the trap, we would pull the string and the door would close. One kitten was caught with the mother and the other was caught alone. 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age they'll still be wanting their mother, and are too young to find their own food. So bait the cage with a towel their mother has slept on and some yummy-smelling food, and they should be fairly easy to catch. I don't think it'll take more than a day or two.

Are they all wild or a little tame?

taypurade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thank you so much! They're all quite shy.

Would tuna be smelly enough to lure them out?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is a real beauty and doesn't look to be so extremely feral in that picture :dk:. Anyway, yes, tuna or sardines would be great to get those kittens in the trap. I am certain by now they are pretty hungry and that should make trapping them much easier. Bless you for caring and helping this family of kitties. Keep us posted! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

taypurade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was having some trouble going to the bathroom and shaking a bit as well, but her feline leukemia test (thankfully) just came back negative. 

I hope that she is okay :(

In other news, we have homes for every kitty except one, but it looks good for her! A friend of my mom's is interested in adopting one, so she might have a place to be after all!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWW mega vibes for the sick kitten.. :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Yes, they can get sick so quickly and the stress on top of it doesn't help them stay well. Keep us posted on the little one. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes: Good news on finding homes for them!!! :clap::clap::clap:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you talked with the vet about her and her problems here?  What did he said? 

As the test come back negative, It was no instant test, you had to wait several days for answer?  So you perhaps met this wet before she got these here troubles?

Anyway,  It seems to me to be an veterinary errand... A visit as soon you can practically manage.... Begin by phoning if you can and wish.

IF you really hope for medical advices from us, so describe more what are the symptoms etc.

I suggest you put in the question in the Health Forum.  (and a link in here).

Nice  to hear most have already waiting homes. Do their families know most cats prefer to have a pal? Another cat or at least a cat friendly dog?  Ie, having TWO cats is often easier than having just one?

Good luck!

uncommonsensesc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had some good luck with canned mackerel - stinks to high heaven but they love it! I chopped it up pretty good for them and they think it's the food of the cat gods!