Just brought in mama kitty and 2 babies

Furfarm09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have stray that we have been feeding for almost a year now. I was planning on getting her fixed but she was still very scared and wouldn't let anybody near her til recently. She just got to where we can pet her and she popped up pregnant. She showed up here as a feral kitten so I know she isn't that old. Old enough to have kittens but still to little to be a mama. 😔 she is still very tiny herself. She ended up having 5 kittens under my house a couple days ago. We finally found them yesterday and only 2 of them were alive. The other 3 looked to been dead for a while (im thinking died at birth) these newborn kittens looked like 2-3 week old kittens in size. They were huge and I'm not an expert by no means but ive had cats thats had kittens and these kittens were bigger than any newborn kitten I've ever seen. I'm thinking maybe thats why they died? She could have possibly had a ruff labor with them? Out of the 2 that lived 1 is the runt (about the size of a normal newborn kitten) and 1 of the bigger ones which is almost twice the size of the "runt". Mama and babies seem to be doing ok. We got them inside and she seems to be comfortable. A little protective but comfortable. She loves attention and constantly purrs when we are in there. We haven't messed with the babies other than moving them in from outdoors just to not get them covered in our scent. We only pet mama for now. She feeds them and they look clean but I haven't seen her cleaning them but she's also only been inside since last night. With her being so young I just worry. As long as she is nursing them and they look clean and not crying they should be ok shouldn't they? She is more than likely doing everything she needs to do as far as stimulating them to go potty?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please watch her interact with her babies. To be absolutely sure they are doing alright, weighing them at the same time every day is about the only way to see if they are alright. Make absolutely sure she is nursing them. Lead her in there and see if she will lay with them while you are petting her. She already knows your scent and feels comfortable around you, so putting your scent on the kittens will not make her harm them. Keep watching her until you are sure she is stimulating them to potty. Usually, as long as the kittens are cuddling and quiet, everything is going OK, if they start crawling around and crying they will need to be hand-fed. Most cats know what to do by instinct. But once in a while, a young, first-time mom will panic and not know what to do. they will let a whole litter die. I pray this is not the case. She may have been too exhausted to care for the last three born and they died. My prayers are with her......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furfarm09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please watch her interact with her babies. To be absolutely sure they are doing alright, weighing them at the same time every day is about the only way to see if they are alright. Make absolutely sure she is nursing them. Lead her in there and see if she will lay with them while you are petting her. She already knows your scent and feels comfortable around you, so putting your scent on the kittens will not make her harm them. Keep watching her until you are sure she is stimulating them to potty. Usually, as long as the kittens are cuddling and quiet, everything is going OK, if they start crawling around and crying they will need to be hand-fed. Most cats know what to do by instinct. But once in a while, a young, first-time mom will panic and not know what to do. they will let a whole litter die. I pray this is not the case. She may have been too exhausted to care for the last three born and they died. My prayers are with her......

Thank u....so far she seems to be a great mom. She has definitely been nursing them and she seems fine with me sitting there with her while she lays with them. She came out and had a lil mommy break a lil while ago while i sat by the babies. She seems to be doing really good and the babies seem content. Thankfully I did finally see her cleaning them and stimulating them just a few mins ago. I'm still going to keep a close eye on her and them and I will start weighing them tonight. Thanks for taking the time to write me back 😊