Just Adopted A Shy Cat

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted two cats two weeks ago. Maisie is between 3 and 5 years old and had been in foster care for two years because she is so shy and nobody wanted to take her on. I wanted to give her a chance because as a formerly mute child, I wouldn't be talking now if someone hadn't given me a chance. The other cat I adopted with her, Remy, is around 1 year old and he was at the same foster location as Maisie and they were friendly with each other there. Remy has had no problems adjusting to my apartment and he's VERY playful and can be very cuddly.

I live in a basement studio apartment so Maisie has sought refuge under my bed the last two weeks because there really isn't any other place for her. I had to start feeding Remy in the bathroom so Maisie could have a chance to eat before he got to it and also for her to feel comfortable to come out. She has been coming out from under the bed every night when I'm sitting in bed, but she still won't come out and explore when I'm sitting on the couch or walking around the apartment. She has been eating when I'm in the bathroom with the door open too, so she's progressed a little. I'm not sure what else I should be doing to help her feel comfortable. The other night while she was hiding under my couch she took a treat from my hand too and I was like a proud mom watching her kid graduate kindergarten.

I have two closets and one I've set up with one of the litter boxes and it is partially open all the time, so she can go in there if she wants, but I don't think she has. I have a Feliway plugged in too and if it is relevant I feed them raw food twice a day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:
Just reading your 3rd sentence made me teary, so I know Maisie and Remy are very lucky that you adopted them. :heartshape:

Are they getting along with each other? If not, you might have to separate them and do proper introductions per the below TCS articles:
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

If it is just Maisie's shyness, here are some TCS articles that may be helpful:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

Good luck. :catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience, Darlin. That and the information that rubysmama rubysmama gave you with the articles. And...bless you. She may always be shy and timid, but she will get used to you. And you have a cuddlebug, which helps.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, patience is best :) My kittens were very shy when I got them, but now Fudge loves human company and Toffee is also affectionate but nevertheless would much rather be playing with his toys (it used to be the other way round!). Just wait and dedicate your time to them, and I'm sure they'll come around together.