Just adopted a second kitty. Grandma Cat.

ashbobash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!  First post :)

So I have had my cat, Gizmo, for about a year.  She is 3 years old.  A sweetheart but very rarely wants any kind of interaction.  I recently decided to adopt another cat.  I adopted a 9 year old dilute tortie Named Whiskey.  She is super sweet and cuddly and likes to sleep next to my head.

I was going to follow all the "internet instructions" on how to properly adjust cats to each other when bringing a new one into the home.  The shelter told me to put her in the bathroom for the first day, to adjust to sounds and smells.  Then, still keeping them separate for a few days.  This was almost impossible.  They are both very quick to rush the door when it opens.  When I would leave Whiskey alone in any room by herself she would howl like she was dying and I couldn't take it!

So after the first day I opened all the doors.  I live in a small apartment.  So not many doors to begin with!  So far it's been 5 days and aside from some occasional hissing from Gizmo when they get up close and personal... there don't seem to be any issues.  Lately Giz has been more curious.  Getting close when Whiskey isn't looking and sniffing her.  Giz came from the Humane Society where all the cats were kept in separate cages and Whiskey came from a shelter that is fully open, cats everywhere and lots of interaction.  I still get the impression Giz makes Whiskey nervous.  She seems a little scared to get too close to her.

I have seen them sharing the long window sil with no issues.  They both sleep on the bed at night, but on opposite sides.  

Since these are pretty much the only cats I have ever owned myself, I feel like I might not know what to look for when it comes to possible issues.  Any advice would be great!