Just Adopted A Kitten and Getting a Golden Retriever in 2 Weeks

newkittymommy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I am new here. We adopted a kitten today from a rescue. She's 8 weeks old, spaid, and had 2 sets of shots. We've been looking for a kitten for some time now and fell in love with this little girl. She's buff and white and long haired. We also put down a deposit weeks ago for a golden retriever puppy. We'd been wanting a puppy for a long time. I know you can raise puppies and kittens well together but what's the secret? This kitten seems very sweet and laid back. LOVES my kids. Isn't overly scared or anxious and doesn't freak at loud noises. She's really great:) My children are very taken with her. Still working on her name:)

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You're in for some interesting times. Puppies and kittens usually are just fine together and will likely play nice. You'll just have to keep an eye on them. Post some pictures of your family additions.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Please be careful, a puppy can hurt a young kitten if they are allowed to play together roughly. It is generally best to get one or the other and wait until they are a bit older/calmer first but since you already have a deposit, I would recommend keeping the puppy on leash whenever around the kitten when they are young just to prevent rough play, in other words I wouldn't have them loose together. When you are not able to watch the puppy, the kitten should be in a separate room or the puppy should be crated.

Also 8 weeks is very young for a kitten so she will be more fragile and may also not be as well socialized, since kittens learn how to be social with other animals from being with their littermates between 8-12 weeks old. So they may both have some trouble learning to be gentle.

Goldens are generally good with other animals and gentle but all puppies can play rough and they need to learn bite inhibition.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittymommy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all so much for the vaulable advice. I will absolutely make sure she is never alone with the new puppy until she is much older unless supervised. I do know about Goldens and their teething. I have young children and we will be working on this in puppy classes as well. She's also still recovering from her spay surgery, although her scar is healing nicely but we plan to take her into the vet this week for a check up and her next set of shots. She definitely has a great appetite:) When the puppy gets here she will be 10+ weeks but still very young.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow do they spay over there at that young age??? thats really young 

As others have said watch them when they are together and make sure that play doesn't get to rough, and to begin with at this young age keep them apart for a while when you aren't there, once the kitten is at an age that she can get up out of the reach of the pup than things should be fine with them together all the time.  Good luck and enjoy 

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes rescue groups pretty much always spay/neuter before adoption, so if they get kittens/puppies for adoption they will have it done young so they can be adopted.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So small for an op 
 although I see why they do it.
Yes it's not ideal. but shelters and rescues are unable to keep pets until they are older to get them spayed or neutered because they do not have the space/money to care for the animals long term. So they need to find homes for them as soon as they are old enough to be adopted out, and due to the overpopulation issues they generally will not send animals home intact so it's very common to do early spay/neutering.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So small for an op 
It's been in practice for over 25 years, responsible breeders spay/neuter kittens at 10-12 weeks old, rescue groups tend to do it at 8-10 weeks. Kittens bounce back so fast, mine always tumble out the carrier like nothing has happened.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The few times I have got cats from rescues here and in the UK, in the uk I had to take Misty back when she was about 6 months old to have her spayed and over here I took Cookie from the refuge that Jenny worked at and when he was old enough I took him to the vets to be nutere, this was done on my word but normally I believe you take them back to be done.

Sorry Newkittymommy I have hijacked your thread 

Has your new pup arrived yet? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittymommy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol you are fine:) thanks. the puppy arrives fri:) SHe LOVES dogs actually. we took her to the vet thursday. SHe now has a kitty cold:( Stinks. They had a dog there and the kitty LOVED the dog. I was amazed and happy. I cant wait to bring home the puppy but am worried about the kitty cold. i posted that under health.

toomanycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So small for an op 
It's been in practice for over 25 years, responsible breeders spay/neuter kittens at 10-12 weeks old, rescue groups tend to do it at 8-10 weeks. Kittens bounce back so fast, mine always tumble out the carrier like nothing has happened.
So bad for them to do that at such a young age...it's sad that it's necessary.

toomanycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So bad for them to do that at such a young age...it's sad that it's necessary.
Not at all, it's far easier on them than at an older age.
In the long run, spaying/neutering that early has proven to be related to an increased chance of developing other issues later in life such as bone cancer among other things. It can also sometimes stunt growth and development due to hormone deficiencies. It is a necessary thing, though.