Just a rant about stupid people.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you for reporting them to the Humane Society. I'm really impressed that they responded so well and are going to do something about it. And it's great theat you've complained to the paper. Maybe, they'll think a little harder about printing some ads in the future.
i didnt think that cats ate squirrels anyway
My cats live to chase squirrels! And you can't really blame them - they run around so temptingly and wave their big fluffy tails at the cats as if to taunt them!
I'd be really upset if they ever caught one though.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

In the small town where my husband, Kyle is from, people normally don't have to put an add in, there are sooooooo many cats just breeding in the country.

Kyle's parents live on a little farm outside of the town and their closest neighbor's have about 40 to 80 cats at any given time on their farm. They took one in and got her fixed, but they don't know what to do with the rest.

People just come and dump cats/kittens at their drive because people know around there that the kittens/cats will be dealt with, one way or another....

I was absolutely horrified when I found out what they do to keep the numbers down....old George takes out his gun and shoots them all. Last I heard, he said he shot about 40 cats.

There is no shelter in this small town and no one is willing to become responsible for them. If I lived there I would be doing something about it but since I don't all I can do is rant about it!
I remember when I was little, my cousins lived in the country and they always had a bunch of cats running around..and when the cats would keep having kittens..my uncle would take them behind the shed and hit them with a shovel to kill them
It makes me sick to think of it now..but when we were kids we didn't know what was happening. They wouldn't pay to get them cats fixed..but instead just got rid of the kittens...So sick!!

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading these stories just breaks my heart. I wish humans would learn to respect animals. Why do we think that this planet belongs only to us, and that anything that doesnt comply with our rules should just be killed off. So very sad.

kittnldy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh....

I'm gonna dig the ads up and take a look...I CAN'T BELIEVE the nerve!!!!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
gardenandcats said:
After reading your comments about the paper printing that ad. I just had to give them a call and inquire about why on earth they printed it. They said that they legally have to print ads that are paid for longs as though the ad does not involve anything illegal! I said animal abuse isn't Illegal? They just hemed and hawed and couldn't really give me a good answere. At least I let them know what I thought. Plus I had two friends also call the paper! So maybe this will make them think before they ever print something like this again.
*sigh* It's true, they do have to print the ad if it doesn't say or intimate anything illegal, and although we on the board here view putting a cat outside to chase squirrels as animal abuse, there are plenty of people that DON'T view it that way and I don't think technically what they were advertisting for would constitute animal abuse. It's only after they were called that they said what they were really up too.

The newspaper, believe you me, has plenty of libel issues that they do have to worry about, and the ads make money for the paper. (Not that they are money making machines, most reporters get paid fairly low salaries.) I'm not sure at all that they will "think twice." I wish things like this didn't get printed, but the newspaper isn't really to blame.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

In the small town where my husband, Kyle is from, people normally don't have to put an add in, there are sooooooo many cats just breeding in the country.

Kyle's parents live on a little farm outside of the town and their closest neighbor's have about 40 to 80 cats at any given time on their farm. They took one in and got her fixed, but they don't know what to do with the rest.

People just come and dump cats/kittens at their drive because people know around there that the kittens/cats will be dealt with, one way or another....

I was absolutely horrified when I found out what they do to keep the numbers down....old George takes out his gun and shoots them all. Last I heard, he said he shot about 40 cats.

There is no shelter in this small town and no one is willing to become responsible for them. If I lived there I would be doing something about it but since I don't all I can do is rant about it!
You described my dad there(he's just like George). I am very ashamed that I couldn't convince my parents to fix out outdoor cats sooner. Every kitten that got a new home last summer got fixed at their new home(I checked with the vet). We had tons of kittens, in addition to all of the adults. Dad got mad at one cat for pooping in the shop, so he shot it.
His plan was to drown the kittens.
What did dad do growing up when a dog/cat had babies? He drown them.
If the dog killed a chicken, he shot it.
Plain & simple. He doesn't seem to understand that these are living breathing creatures that I love. He gets mad because the money we spent to fix those cats could've been spent to cement the driveway.

Although, whenever there were kittens on the place, they were moved somewhere(by mom or me) where they would be safe. They were given a warm place to live & grow. They got kitten food(the moms did, too) until they were 6 months old. Our cats were always fed as much as they needed & always had fresh water. We never used them to kill mice or anything(they were & are too lazy). They were pets. In nasty winter storms, they got shut in the heated shop(all but the ferals-poor things). There were a few I had euthanized this spring, but only because of health issues. If a stray shows up, we will care for it & take it into the humane society from now on.

Now, our 8 outside cats are fixed, UTD on shots, & we take in stool samples every 3-4 months. I lock them in the garage a lot & let them out when I can watch them. I walk them when I walk the dogs, too.

Sorry that got so long, but I thought our cats had it bad for years. I honestly did not realize that there were some people out there that are so bad. I thought it was awful when the farmers would keep the male kittens(they can neuter them themselves*shudders*) & dump the female kittens. I made mom promise that she would always keep only altered cats on the place, no more kittens. She willingly agreed & I am sure dad will have to agree, too. We fixed one cat without him ever knowing, even.