Just a few questions :)

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! :wavey: I'm new to this site and I've read quite a few threads and have gathered some useful information but I still have a few questions.

In late September I brought in a very young stray female calico with what seemed to be broken or dislocated hip and she has since healed and grown into a beautiful young lady which I have named Radar. I've been planning to get her fixed but hadn't came up with the cash for it yet between rent and bills and all that adult stuff. On may 24th my sister in law came over and her cat had followed her. I Told her it was okay for her to bring him inside while we went and ran errands because Radar hadn't ever been in heat yet. (which she hadn't) silly mistake on part. SO!! Here we are, 64 days later expecting a litter of maybe 5 or 6 any time now! :heart4:

Her hip seems to be popping in and out of place as she walks now but it doesn't seem to cause her pain and she let's me touch it and feel the joint and it feels normal. I'm wondering if this may be happening because her hips are spreading for labor because it's the end of her pregnancy, or if this is something else..
She has shown signs of labor several times over the last two days, panting, nesting, cleaning herself, and she had a bit of clear discharge yesterday but that seems to have stopped. Is this normal? I've had cats with kittens before but I've never had the chance to see the labor start. I didn't even realize they were having babies until they had one in my lap. Lol.

Also, I have a 12-15 pound nutered tuxedo tom who is her best friend and acts like her mother. They are best friends. Would it be okay for him to be around the kittens if Radar is comfortable with it or will I need to separate them?
Any advice or help is appreciated! ;) thanks so much!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the hip.  Sounds like a @catwoman707 question.

If she will tolerate her friend around the kittens, I think it would be okay.  Just keep an eye on him at first.  she may not want him around when she is giving birth, again watch her for signals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking, thank you! :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most definitely agree, I would not even go there, when she is having her babies she does not want another cat or anything else around her then, possibly you would be about it.

They want/need quiet, calm, seclusion. Nothing less or she may move her kits where she can get this atmosphere.

The day after their birth, you can try to allow him in, but be aware, she is going to be a different, very protective mom, especially in the earlier days.

Personally I would hold off on that, mom will be much less tolerant.

Regarding her hip, she likely needed a pin inserted back when she was first injured, but it's healed now.

It is very likely popping now because of the late stage of pregnancy and preparing to birth them.

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured she would be and I planned on keeping her in my room and out of most of the house for at most a week with little visits from Hugo every now and then if she would tolerate it.

Do you think she will need any help giving birth? I'm home every day and I'm hoping she goes into labor during the day when I'm up. She doesn't meow, she never has, it's more of a really quiet chirp. :p

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats want their favorite human with them when giving birth.  You should plan on being around just in case something goes wrong.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figured she would be and I planned on keeping her in my room and out of most of the house for at most a week with little visits from Hugo every now and then if she would tolerate it.

Do you think she will need any help giving birth? I'm home every day and I'm hoping she goes into labor during the day when I'm up. She doesn't meow, she never has, it's more of a really quiet chirp. :p
Hard to say really.

Most of the time mom handles everything fine on her own, but every cat is different and also delivering.

Some want you right there with them for security, some don't, some don't tear the bags open and clean soon enough which can suffocate the newborn, some breeze through delivery and others have delays in between, allowing first babies born to nurse, while others are too preoccupied with their labor to allow this.

Mom always seems to appreciate the offer of some good canned pate food and fresh water during the short breaks too.

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought her a bunch of wet food, and I have her little nesting area set up in her favorite room. She's constantly trying to get my attention and have me pet or brush her.

I think her belly dropped a bit but I'm not sure, she looks a bit skinnier when she stands up but I can still watch the babies wiggle around.

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going on 66 days now and all signs of labor are gone :(

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping so @catwoman707!!

Is that common? How long after those does labor usually start?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you are calling on someone, if the type isn't blue it's not working.  You need to start over to see if it catches.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You must use the "@" sign in the box above rather than the one on your keyboard :).

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must use the "@" sign in the box above rather than the one on your keyboard
What @ sign in the box above?  I am on a laptop and don't see that in my box even when I click on the more sign.  I use the @ on the keyboard.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On your keyboard, use the shift key then hit the number 2, see above the number 2 it has the @ symbol?

When typing here, when you use the @ symbol and begin typing a name, it will come up as a drop down, when the name shown on the drop down is who you are wanting to call, click on the drop down name and it will post in blue which calls the person via email.

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm on mobile so that's probably why it didn't work :p thanks for letting me know though!

Another thing, her nipples are HUGE today, and hanging away from her belly. I've seen minimal movement from the babies too.

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just thought you might like to see a picture of my kids :) you can't see how big momma is in this picture though. I'll have to get another for you

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her colors look so much darker in pictures. Calico and tuxedos are such characters. And tuxes are SO vocal.