Just a curious question on the best time to spay or neuter a cat? (hypothetical)

Hazel06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately, and as I can never imagine being without a cat its something I want to know for the future.
What is the best age to get a cat desexed?
I know there have been studies about it, and they say it makes no difference what age it is done, but in my experience that is not the case.
With our cats, those that have been done before sexual maturity tend to stay skinner and more active, and don't need their diet restricting, or be encouraged to exercise. They also don't seem to have quite the same 'wisdom' about them, somehow.
Those which are done after going though a couple of heat cycles, or (in the case of a male) been mating, or even more so if they have had kittens, tend to get fat more easily, and are a bit more lazy; but act in a more mature and sometimes more loving and 'needy' way.
Of course, I am fully for getting it done, and not letting any cat have kittens. (unless you are a responsible breeder, of a recognized breed) The only reason some of our cats were older when it was done was because they were ferals.
But, if I need to make a decision in the future, should one wait till 6 to 8 months to let them mature more, or get it done at say 10 or 12 weeks?
(if one can keep them away for other cats, so one doesn't get any unplanned for kittens)
I quite understand why people like the RSPCA get it done so young, but if one is a fully responsible owner, would it actually be better for the cat to wait that bit longer?
Anyway, I just wanted to know if other people had noticed any differences in their cats done at different ages, and what everyone's opinion is on it.
:)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There is always the risk of your cat escaping so I would not wait to get it done. After 3 months they can start mating. My friend rescued a female with 3 sacks in her. All had to be cut out. The cat survived but not the kittens. Plus,their emotions will show more like being aggressive, not using the litter box,more stressed

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is my own cat, I wait until they are 6 to 9 months. Otherwise, I think they should be done as soon as safe to prevent unwanted litters.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have only ever had ferals as pets, meaning those who were adaptable to living indoors and accepting human. This has ranged from 4 week old abandoned kittens to middle aged adults. There are also a few outside who are true ferals but have been TNRed.

Maybe I have been a little bit dense about all this, but I have never seen any consistent difference or pattern with any of these cats. There have been heavier ones, thinner ones, more aggressive, very calm...the entire mix.

I neuter/spay all kittens by 4 months, all adult cats as soon as I get my hands on them and have done the same for dogs.
(For large male dogs this is debated, but I have neutered all of my GSDs asap as well).

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my cats were completed before adoption, so probably 8-12 weeks. I will tell you that I haven't found a difference in personality or anything otherwise. Some of my cats were fat and lazy, others more active. Some gained weight, others never. Also, some smart and wise and others goofy dodos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hazel06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone :)
Maybe its just been coincidence with the differences I have noticed.
If it is my own cat, I wait until they are 6 to 9 months.
Why do you wait a bit longer with your cats? (I just want to get everyone's reasons for why they do what they do, lol!)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Me personally and I have nothing to back it up, I want muscle development to happen first. Now, should this be a female that goes into heat, or a male that even lifts his tail near a vertical e surface, you best believe they are getting done the next day.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me personally and I have nothing to back it up, I want muscle development to happen first. Now, should this be a female that goes into heat, or a male that even lifts his tail near a vertical e surface, you best believe they are getting done the next day.
I agree with them being a little older.. but it really is situational as well. Like you said if they are showing those signs... it's time

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago,I was feeding a stray. Came home after work and she was on my porch with a male cat on top of her. She end up having another litter. Many people let their cat outside.
This is also so true, and if they are allowed outside they need to be fixed before-hand to avoid something like this happening.. It would only take one time for your cat to mate and then boom we got little furballs running around... don't get me wrong I love kittens as much as the next person... but the population is a huge problem and they are dying too often due to the overpopulation which just breaks my heart...

So yes whenever a pet owner decides to get their cat spayed/neutered, just make sure if it is later on to take the proper precautions to avoid unwanted pregnancies.
I think this is the most important part.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Then people take the stray kittens,abandon,and kittens are stray again and have more litters. That is what happened to my cat Coco. Born on my porch,taken 5 weeks old,came back yr later,had a litter now with me 8 yrs old

20170106_234932-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like I said, only for my personal cats, but I was always working at a vet hospital at the time, so I could get right in for a spay or neuter. I also had extensive cat proofing with at least a 2 door safety, to prevent escape and chicken wire reinforced screens only opened 1/2 in when I was home and the window unable to be opened more by a brace, and the cat was always in their own bedroom when I was at work.

For the massive overpopulation problem with cats, I think it is more important to make sure every cat doesn’t reproduce by spaying and neutering than it is anything else.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm getting my male kitty neutered next month at 5 months old then the females in September. I keep a close eye on him for any behaviors but he's just being a kitten now.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as possible has always been my rule. I'm a firm believer in pediatric spay/neuter. My one girl, who was a stray in my yard, came to me around 6 months of age. We scheduled her spay and she went into heat before the appt. Thankfully, we'd already brought her inside and we could contain her during that fun season.

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve always been told 6 months. My boy was fixed around 7 and he picked up a humping habit… dunno if that’s normal hahahaha but I’ve moved around a lot and every vet I’ve had has said 6 months. To allow them to get the hormones they need, I think my boy has always had a tendency to be a bit chunky but he’s always been very active. He doesn’t slow down honestly

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately, and as I can never imagine being without a cat its something I want to know for the future.
What is the best age to get a cat desexed?
All my cats have been spayed/neutered past 7 months of age at least.
In my country I believe no vet would ever fix a cat younger than 6 months.

My current older cat was spayed at 13 months of age because a few health issues prevented us to do that before.
The younger one was spayed at 11 months, for the same reason as above.
I'm sure they had heat cycles a few times before the surgery, but both had silent cycles, because I didn't realize, and none of them had problems due to this late spaying.
One is slightly overweight though I'm very careful with her food. The other one is rather skinny.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd fix as soon as possible with a cat. There doesn't seem to be any bad side effects from early neutering/spaying and it will prevent any unwanted litters. Plus males tend to start spraying, females too if they are allowed to mature and get hormonal. My Bengal was spayed after her first heat and she was already peeing inappropriately which was a battle to get under control. My Highlander was fixed at four and I think had likely been used for breeding before I got her. Both cats have been fixed for many years, weight is unchanged, they are active friendly muscular cats.