Just A Cold?

*ThorsMom*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one yr old boy has been sneezing the last two days, then this morning noticed our two month old has some eye goopies. These are the only two symptoms either is showing. Both are eating and playing as usual, otherwise. Should I take them in or just keep an eye out for any developing symptoms and let it run it’s course?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! The thing is, it sounds like you have a vet available today whereas tomorrow you might not?
Could you call your vet?
And, I'm sure you are but keep the goopies cleaned off...sometimes a qtip or cotton ball can work for this sort of thing:)
Let us know how things go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It probably would be best to have both cats looked at - or at least call the vet and ask about it (as well as anything you can do to help them, if you both decide to wait a few more days for a vet visit). Maybe it is a cold, but I think in many cases a cold in a cat is still considered a form of URI. It sounds like they are just in the beginnings of it. But, either one, at their age - especially the two month old - getting sicker would be worrisome if it were me.

Here is an article about URIs - maybe it would help you to decide what you want to do.

Feline Upper Respiratory Infection

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should at the very least give the vet a call. A cold in a cat is a bit more serious then in a human, and they don't have the ability to blow their nose like we can to clear out the snot. In an otherwise healthy adult cat it's generally ok to monitor, keep it comfortable, and let it run it's course, but with a kitten it can turn dangerous quickly, just like in a young kid.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you live in Texas by any chance? It's cedar season and all my kitties are sneezing with watery eyes. Could just be plain allergies. If it persists or you notice any discolored discharge, then call the vet.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat...Dexter (5ish months) has been sneezing too...but not a lot? It's hard to describe. He will sneeze daily, maybe 3 to 5 times a day, which is a lot compared to my other cats that don't sneeze at all, but he doesn't go into a fit of sneezing or have any other symptoms (eye good, weird swallowing thing, runny nose, etc.). He is still running around like crazy and eating everything in sight though. I too have been wondering if he is working on the very beginnings of a cold.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My one yr old boy has been sneezing the last two days, then this morning noticed our two month old has some eye goopies. These are the only two symptoms either is showing. Both are eating and playing as usual, otherwise. Should I take them in or just keep an eye out for any developing symptoms and let it run it’s course?
My cat Peaches would get a stuffy nose and sneezing once a year but it stopped when she got older. I would keep her separate from my cats and use a heated bed for 2 weeks or less. My cat Maggie sometimes gets droopy eyes maybe from allergies. It could just be a coincidence but better to have the kitten checked since she's only 8 weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

*ThorsMom*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply! Update: Kitty only had eye boogers for one day so I'm assuming maybe a little soap got in and irritated them when she got a bath. She's back to her crazy self. And nothing ever came of Thor's sneezing. He'll sneeze maybe once a day now or make a little weird sniffle sound, but no other symptoms that would lead me to believe its a cold. Maybe he's allergic to Marvel :lol:. All in all, they seem to be happy as clams!