Just a bit of good news to share

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been concerned lately that Phoebe might have early signs of kidney disease, because she's been drinking and urinating more and is of an age where it might be expected to develop. Took her for a blood test today. The vet said all the outward signs were good - healthy appetite, consistent weight, and pressing her sides, the kidneys felt normal and pressing didn't cause her discomfort. Plus, she'd had a blood test in August, and the two markers for kidney disease that included were normal. Today's was for the third, the best one for early signs. So she went out, got the test, and rang back a couple of hours later. Not only was the third marker well within the normal range, the other two had improved since August! Much relief all round, and Phoebe has even forgiven me for taking her up there (she's snoring under my bed at present).

Cat tax - watching a fly a few days ago.

C0621B00-8E07-4FB6-8D99-BEF7A0B8B4CC.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom and mani mani - I was steeling myself for years of treatment. She couldn't go on a renal diet, because she's already on anallergenic food. The thought of yet more meds and treatments was depressing/alarming, not least because of the costs! It's a great relief that little miss Tough Cookie is fine. Perhaps the blood pressure meds she started a couple of months ago are helping her kidneys.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely neely - I wonder if the readings would have been different if she wasn't on that medication?

Phoebe went through a lot when she was a youngster. We don't know even her approximate age - she was a street rescue and was so small and skinny, the shelter estimated 14 months and our vet said no way, she's more like 8 months! She didn't put on weight, and that led to every test imaginable, culminating in exploratory surgery. None of it gave a clear answer. Her pancreas is heavily scarred but fully functional, she never had diarrhoea or vomiting to suggest IBD, she just didn't gain weight. We went with an IBD diagnosis because there didn't seem to be any other likely cause, and she's thrived on the hypoallergenic and then anallergenic diets (though she thinks it's most unfair that she's not allowed to eat anyone else's food).

Oh and she has a really cute spleen, according to the nurse who was at her surgery! :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if the readings would have been different if she wasn't on that medication?
I do think her readings would be different if she wasn't on blood pressure medicine. Carleton has some kidney damage and he's also on B.P. meds which have definitely helped. How often does Phoebe get her blood pressure checked?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think her readings would be different if she wasn't on blood pressure medicine. Carleton has some kidney damage and he's also on B.P. meds which have definitely helped. How often does Phoebe get her blood pressure checked?
She only started her meds in August-September, and the vet checked her BP again the other day while we were there. She gets six-monthly checkups because of her age - how often does Carleton get his checked?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet also recommends a six month check up due to his age and health. However, if we bring him in for a nail trim or something goes awry he gets it checked then as well.
I'll probably be able to stick to six-monthly, then, since she's on the meds, and just get it checked if she's in there for anything else. I don't take her in for claw trimming, I do that myself.