Jupiter has crystals

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am praying for Jupiter, too.

He could be cleaning up after himself, like you said.

My cats had NO signs of pain. I miss them though and will be happy when tomorrow afternoon is here....really, in the morning, when I can call and maybe find out more.

Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

sending vibes for your babies.

Jupiter seems to be doing fine now, he's doing big pees in the litter box and no obvious signs of pain.

the only thing is he still licks his bits after he goes. i cant remember if he did that before though? he's not excessivly licking, so maybe he's just cleaning up after he's pee?

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how's jupiter doing now???

Just want to do an update, Nana's crystal is gone!!!

I adopted her on Nov 7th and put her on science diet.
3 weeks later i switch her on Wellness Cans and Eagle Pack
Dec 10th the vet discovered crystals in her urine, but she doesn't not have any infection and is healthy at the moment, but the vet still suggest to put her on prescription diet.

I insisnt on putting her on Wellness Cans (and eagle pack dry once in a while) and put out extra water dish to encourage water intake
One month later on Jan 16th she had another urineanalysis, her crystal is gone!!!!

I'm sooo happy to get the news from the vet !!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sending vibes for your babies.

Jupiter seems to be doing fine now, he's doing big pees in the litter box and no obvious signs of pain.

the only thing is he still licks his bits after he goes. i cant remember if he did that before though? he's not excessivly licking, so maybe he's just cleaning up after he's pee?
I noticed Prego and Polly always "clean up" after going potty.

charmed854

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
West Leisenring Pa, about 40 min from pittsburgh
we had a cat (casper) thay we recently had to have put to sleep do to anti freeze poisoning, But last year he developed crystals, they actualy had to remove them from his bladder,he almost died, but he was put on hills c/d and he had to stay on that for the rest of his life the vet said, he was doing very well on the c/d too, if you stay on the perscription diet, and give caned food too, because it has water in it, as well as make sure he gets plenty of water, your kitty should do fine, our vet said getting water into them is the key, because the more concentrate the urine is the more chance of crystals. good luck,

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Oliver hated the c/d food he was on for his Interstitial Cystitis...he never did like it and I had to force feed him it until the end. I wish they would have made it more yummy so he didnt have to go through that experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jupiter loves his food!

I think he's better now as he seems to be peeing fine.

I think it was caused by the bad weather and the fact that he prefers to pee in bushes than in the litter tray.

now its warmer he goes outside more and he isnt so inclined to hold it in so he can sleep for a few more mins by the radiator!

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

i took a sample of jupiter's urine in for testing yesterday and it turns out he has crystals in his bladder.

he's only 8 months old

the vet says this is common in over weight male, neutered cats but Jupiter is big, not overweight, and if he is overweight its really not by much. you can still feel his spine when you stroke him and he doesnt have a belly.

has anyone elses cat had crystals? and were they alright?
On and off for the last few years my Jasmine repeatedly had crystals and stones in her bladder. I was told it is more common in males than females, but my vet also said some cats are just more prone to them, period. She was put on the Hills Prescription S/D diet from the start to break them down and pass them(this was noticeable in her urine -- gritty). She also actually had surgery because one larger stone had gotten out of her bladder, but could not completely pas. Yes, she did recover from them, but for some reason she tended to keep making more, even on the prescription food.