June Picture of the Month - Cats Adopted from Shelters

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last day for submissions! We'll start voting tomorrow.

BTW, we usually have almost nothing but pictures in a picture contest thread, and I kinda like how this particular one is about stories and not just images.
This being Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month, the Theme for June is Cats Adopted from Shelters. Since many shelters work with foster homes, we're going to make this about cats adopted from any rescue group or shelter. When you submit, do tell us something about the cat and where he/she was adopted from.
Just following your rules.

Last edited:

kyrielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Kamino at approximately 5 months old (he's now a little over a year old).  I adopted him last August from Cobb County Animal Control in Marietta, GA.  It was a Sunday, and my boyfriend was in town.  I had been wanting to adopt a cat, so I decided to have him go with me to look.  Just to look.  But that's always how these stories start, right?  We perused the cages, most of them were kittens that wanted to use me as a jungle gym.  Then I saw him.  I stopped, because his face looked really weird.  I remember saying, "Look at this cat.  His face is...weird.  And his eyes are huge.  He looks like a freaking alien."  Then I continued on to look at other cats.  Well, my boyfriend took Kamino (at the time simply called "Pug") to cuddle him while I played with some other cats. Then I kept getting drawn in by his giant, amber and green eyes and how nice he was.  When I took him out and held him, that was it.  I was sold.  He tucked his head under my chin and snuggled into my neck and I just...couldn't say no.  I knew this was my cat.

Unfortunately, I didn't know that he was very ill and probably hadn't eaten properly in a long time.  He was very, very small, and at around 3 months old, weighed barely over 2 lbs.  He suffered from an upper respiratory infection that left his lips covered in ulcers, a low grade fever, and his sinuses so clogged he could hardly breathe.  Let alone eat.  Or drink.  It took a week and one emergency vet visit to get him out of critical condition and to the point where we didn't have to force feed him this nasty food paste, antibiotics, and water.  My boyfriend and I highly suspect that in the next 24-48 hours in that cage, he would have been on his way out he was so ill.  It took 2 months for him to get up to proper weight and be completely free of any signs of infection.

Anyway, now he's in top shape and is probably the most communicative, sweetest cat I've ever seen.  He'll give almost anything a try.  He'll go anywhere as long as someone he trusts is around.  He fears very little for a cat, and has a remarkable resiliency to change.

Last edited:

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

This is Cagney(calico) and Lacey(tuxedo). They were adopted from the The Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority (svaca.com) in May 2011. It's a nice facility - cageless.

I wish I could say it was no-kill, but the kill rate is low.

The family had been contemplating getting a cat for a while and I saw an ad for an adoption event at svaca.

We (my bf, bf's brother & df's daughter) all went to find a cat.

These two were in a room together wrestling and there was lone tabby kitten in a room alone. I secretly wanted two cats to have each other as company, but I didn't say anything because I didn't think it would go over with the other adults. I also wanted adult cats, or older than 6 months anyway, but knew I would get vetoed there, too, especially since they were gushing over the kittens once we got there.

There was a cat expert there, [color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]Marilyn Krieger, who was one of the experts here. She said getting more than one cat was the way to go. So everyone was convinced and we got these two sisters.[/color]

[color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]There are pics taken at the shelter of them at 2 months old.[/color]

[color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]They're both funny little characters in their own way. [/color]

[color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]Cagney used to suckle on her sister, but I guess Lacey put the kibosh on that. Now, at certain special times Cagney will curl up on my lap and self-suckle, purring [/color]  [color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]like crazy.[/color]

[color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]Lacey hates to be picked up. She's definitely a receive affection on her own terms kind of cat, but she always likes to be near. She's always right by my head when I sleep or sit on the couch. [/color]She's also the most curious cat and nothing phases her. She likes to stand around and watch the neighbors mow the grass and wash their cars. She won't let them pet her, though. She follows dogs down the street.

They are just awesome - I'm so glad they're here.

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute Pics.

I might add something on the prize. The $20 credit is good for anything in the store, including custom orders. I do custom orders (providing I have the supplies in stock or they are readily availiable) . I have done bows for little dogs, but can also do ones for persians and the "tiny clippies" will generally work with pets who have hair- so if you win, it isn't limited to just kid bows :)

mel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your submissions! I'm closing this thread and will soon set up the voting thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think I got myself confused on the rules of this contest!

Does it have to be a cat WE adopted, or any shelter cat that has been adopted? If it's a cat WE adopted, please remove my entry!
Like catspaw66 said, it doesn't have to be a cat you adopted yourself, so your entry is valid :)
There was a cat expert there, [color= rgb(34, 34, 34)]Marilyn Krieger, who was one of the experts here. She said getting more than one cat was the way to go. So everyone was convinced and we got these two sisters.[/color]
Marilyn is awesome. She's been a guest expert here a couple of times and her blog was our Blog of the Month for January!
Cute Pics.

I might add something on the prize. The $20 credit is good for anything in the store, including custom orders. I do custom orders (providing I have the supplies in stock or they are readily availiable) . I have done bows for little dogs, but can also do ones for persians and the "tiny clippies" will generally work with pets who have hair- so if you win, it isn't limited to just kid bows :)

mel

Thanks for clarifying, Mel! I sure would love to see pictures of any TCS cats wearing your creations!

Status
Not open for further replies.