Jumpy cat, injured husband

venuskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, as some of you know my husband was injured in a car accident recently. He has a broken left ankle, right kneecap, and right femur. He also has had major abdominal surgery resulting in a colostomy bag for at least six months.

Hopefully he will be going home soon. The issue is that Venus has always been playful with my husband, pouncing on his legs and belly. She can't do that anymore, obviously, without causing a good deal of pain and possibly damage (she's close to 15 pounds). How can I encourage positive and safe interactions between the two?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are pretty sensitive to injuries and pain.  More than likely she will be curious and want to check out what is wrong with hubby ( a little sniffing and such) but she will sense, most likely, that he is in a delicate state and not to mess with it and to be gentle.  I wouldn't worry about it unless she starts to do something.  Then just a quick and firm "NO!"  and maybe just gently remove her from the situation is all.  Cats are smart.  They get things pretty quickly.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he's feeling better soon.

I went through 2 major abdominal surgeries in the last year. Both my cats are active, and love to lay on my lap too. I used a very high, large plastic tote and cut the 2 longer sides a few inches shorter (like a tunnel) to fit over my abdomen. Then I put it open side down over my stomach. It is like the trays you use to eat in bed but bigger . If the cats try to sit on top of it there is no pressure underneath because you can get one with a big enough opening to clear your incision. My incision was almost 2 feet long and it worked. I think this would help protect the colostomy bag too. My cats weigh 9 and 10  pounds and this worked perfect to protect my stomach. It was a nice sturdy sheild. You could probably do it with a rectangle laundry basket too. I guess you could use smaller totes to make one for his knee and ankle.

The first night home they adapted well to the big plastic thing taking their lap space. One curled up on my legs and my little one slept draped over my arm the whole night. Gotta love those kitties!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venuskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that we're finally home and hooked up, I thought I'd report in.

I've never seen a cat happier than Venus was the night that my husband first came home. I'd been spending most of my time at the hospital as well, so Venus had been pretty lonely for a while. When we laid down for bed that first night, Venus laid down on her back in between us. She first turned toward "Daddy:" PURR PURR PURR and then over toward "Mommy:" PURR PURR PURR....lather, rinse, repeat.

As far as avoiding my husband's injuries, she seems to be doing well with that. She likes to cuddle up to his arm instead and lick it repeatedly- I think she can tell that he doesn't feel well, and she's trying to heal/comfort him the only way she knows how. Sometimes he feels crowded by her, but then I'll lure her away with her toy.

In short, Venus is a blessing, and things are working out!