Jumping Off the Bed Four Weeks After Surgery

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm horribly afraid that I have screwed up.

My cat had back surgery four weeks ago to correct Cauda Equina. The vet told me he needed to be isolated and no jumping or climbing for six weeks. This weekend was a little over the fourth week and my cat has been practically frantic to get back on the bed. I started letting him so long as I was the one to pick up him and put him down (no jumping). Well, this weekend, he jumped off the bed three times. Three times. I feel like crap that I wasn't able to stop him, and then let him back up there anyway.

The first two times he was okay afterwards. The third times was last night, and he more flung himself off than jumped down. His back leg slipped a little when he landed, but he didn't make a sound and trotted right over to his food dish and started eating.

This morning he seemed okay when I left the house, but when I got home after work he was acting skittish and didn't want me to touch him. If I went into the bathroom, he would go into the bedroom, and vice versa. Eventually I was able to get him to play with his toys and even rub on the toy with cat nip... but he still doesn't want me to touch him. If I try, he will either duck my hand or slap/bite me. He whined once when he got up from laying down, but other than that he's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, and recently become very demanding that I put him back on the bed (which will not be happening again).

In inclusion... have I ruined his surgery, or do you think he's maybe just a little sore from doing something he wasn't supposed to?

On a side note, ever since the back surgery, his front, right leg (the one he received an IV in) 'gives out' occasionally when he's got weight on it. Will that go away or should I be concerned?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet who performed the surgery would be the best person to answer these questions. Because cats hide pain, I would not assume that he's okay if he's not crying out. That you've noticed changes in his behavior could be indicative that he's not feeling 100%. You probably paid quite a bit for that surgery. I would get him in for an X-ray to be certain that nothing has happened. If he still needs to be on activity restriction, I would keep him in a pen or a crate for any time that you cannot 100% supervise him and prevent him from doing activities he shouldn't.

I used one like this with a zipper top when Krista had to be on two weeks activity restriction. I also played "Music For Cats" on a portable speaker for her to keep her calm while she was in lockdown. For a couple of hours each day, I would let her out but kept an eagle eye on her to make certain she wasn't running or jumping. Often all she wanted to do during those times was sit on my chest and take her fill of scritches.

Get the biggest one you can get so you can put some space between food and a litter box.
FRISCO Soft-Sided Dog, Cat & Small Pet Exercise Playpen, 45-in - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the late response. For some reason I either didn't see the notification or I didn't get one.

Thank you for your response! I ended up having to take another one of my cats to the vet (the same), and I asked him about the incident while I was there. He seemed to not believe it was too big of a deal seeing as it was 4 weeks passed surgery, and that it was likely he was just a little sore from doing something he shouldn't/haven't done in a while.

Tomorrow is his last day of isolation, and I couldn't be more happy for him. I think being stuck back in that room for six weeks is starting to take a toll on him mentally. He seems healthy but dispondent. Like he's bored and doesn't want to bother getting up.