Jumping from the second floor to first floor.

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever experience their cat jumping from the second floor to the first floor from the stairwell? Our cat always sticks her head through the railing and we're worried she will jump! Plus she would be landing on a set of stairs, so the floor isn't leveled. She should be aware of the stairs as she runs up and down it sometimes. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats won't usually jump to something they can't see well.  They occasionally fall, however.  One of our members here had a kitten fatally injured from a stairway fall, but it fell on something on the ground floor, not the floor itself.

We have a loft in our cabin in Arkansas, and while the cats have spent hours looking over the ledge, they have never jumped.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take my cats out into the backyard of my apartment building. I live on the second floor, and one of my cats, Memphis, will head straight for the railing, walk halfway through it (so his butt is still sticking out) and plop down to the first floor landing, just so he can get to the backyard grass quicker. He does this just about every time we go outside, unless I left the gate to my part of the deck open, then he goes down the stairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats won't usually jump to something they can't see well.  They occasionally fall, however.  One of our members here had a kitten fatally injured from a stairway fall, but it fell on something on the ground floor, not the floor itself.

We have a loft in our cabin in Arkansas, and while the cats have spent hours looking over the ledge, they have never jumped.
I put a big sheet of cardboard covering the railings she usually hovers around... Just in case!