Jumping bad for joints?

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have two cats who will not run after toys during playtime but love jumping to catch them. This means about 30min-1 hour of intense jumping every day for each cat. Can this affect their joint/bone health?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat,Coco, that will chase after my other cat but when playing with a wand toy she jumps up and down though one time she did a 360! Not all cats have the same muscular structure. So some do just jump up and down. My car Maggie jumps high the turns her body other direction.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I have two cats who will not run after toys during playtime but love jumping to catch them. This means about 30min-1 hour of intense jumping every day for each cat. Can this affect their joint/bone health?
Every cat plays differently. Some run after toys, others jump and leap, others just sit and stare like you're crazy :lol: Generally exercise is good and healthy for cats :) Assuming your cats aren't seniors or have underlying joint or heart issues, jumping and playing can promote strong healthy joins and muscles. No different from kids playing and chasing each other around. Maybe break up playtime into smaller sessions so the cats can rest in between.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, my cats are still young but I was worried it would be bad for them in the long run as they get older. Sounds like no one has seen this become an issue in their cats, which is good to hear :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat isn't likely to do anything that hurts.
If a cat was jumping while playing and it got hurt, it would stop playing.

Cat's bones and joints are built differently than humans. By that, I don't just mean the intuitive difference between human and cat. I mean that their bones, joints, ligaments and muscles are constructed differently and laid out in an arrangement that allows them to move in the amazing ways we all have seen cats move.

A human could never jump and move like that! It's all because of the way God built cats! ;)

So, basically, if your cat is healthy and doesn't have any injuries, let them jump as much as they want.
(Provided they are in a place where it is safe to do so.)

One thing I would probably suggest is to keep your cat's weight down to within normative limits.

A fat cat will have a harder time moving and jumping and is more likely to get hurt while playing.